2019 Mk3 Sudden High Idle Problem

Hi all
Had a search but not found this problem I've started to have as of this morning.
So the idle has suddenly increased going by the rev counter up to around 1400 rpm.
I was hoping starting it on the way home from work that it would correct itself, but no.
Idle definitely seems higher than normal, i thought it was the rev counter playing up at first.
Its like the choke doesn't come off on an old school engine. Though I'm sure i heard it go through the usual start up cycle with higher revs then dropping. Will have to check again in the morning what its doing. I didn't noticed this morning, only when i stopped at a junction some 7 miles into the journey.
One thing I've noticed is if I'm slowing down to stop or crawling in 1st in traffic the revs will show just above 1000. If i actually stop it suddenly jumps up to around 1400 but i don't hear the revs change (i think, need to check that with the stereo off...)
Not sure if the MPG has taken a hit as well, normally getting up to around 50+mpg on the work run but came out less today on both trips there and back. Temps are about the same outside with that MPG.
Just out of the warranty by a month as well. I didn't extend it thinking it would be OK for another year.....
Any ideas?

The GPF might just be the issue.

It is a matter of time before posts on these will become more common.

People will be asking at dealerships and employees will have not a clue.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/479195-car-behaving-strangely

GPF fitted from 2018.

Plenty threads in this section about them when they were coming in.

They need dealt with differently from DPF.       Dealerships not showing prices for replacements yet but that time will come for some. 

925255757_Screenshot2020-04-02at13_51_07.jpg.cc45651ed82ba8aacf61040857fd471f.jpg

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 2

Cheers guys, i wouldn't of thought of that. I never had a car with a GPF on it before, i think i have a vague memory of it mentioned that it had one.
Saying that i never had a brand new car before 2019 when i brought the Fabia.
So sounds like an Italian tune up might be required.
I must admit i don't explore the upper rev range very much, i do 18 miles a day during the week on the work run. There's a 50 MPH stretch, i guess about 5 miles, the rest is slow moving through villages. I'm always thinking keep the revs down, save fuel and keep the MPG up.
I'll pretend its a 4 speed box and hang out in 2nd / 3rd a lot more to get the revs up then.
I see they say to release the accelerator while in gear for a few seconds and repeat. Is that something to do with getting oxygen in there to increase the temperature to burn the crap off?
Will have a flick through the manual and see what's mentioned in there about it.
Hopefully its the cause of it then, got to be worth a shot.
Will let you know what happens....!
Cheers :)

Edited by Gonzini

I will link the thread when i can with the links on the GPF,s  they work at a very high temp. 

For now just use the car, your GPF is not choked. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/473535-fitmant-of-gasoline-particulate-filter-gpf-to-fabia-mk-iii

This just turned to the usual argument. That will be my fault.

Time will tell....

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/466946-got-my-fabia

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

Cheers, I'll have a read up. Most of what I've seen so far is all about diesel DPF's. Not found much practical advice on petrol GPF's / PPF's.
I'll drive more thinking about getting the exhaust hotter over saving fuel for a bit and see what happens.
There's no mention though of the higher revs happening in the manual, just the filter light coming on which mine hasn't.
I guess i don't really want to see it coming on either!

• Like 1

Drove to work mostly in 2nd & 3rd today, only way i could get the revs up to 3K and above. Also setting the display to oil temp takes your mind off the high fuel usage.... Waited until it got to 70 / 80 degrees anyway.
Giving it the beans a bit as well. Noticed the auto start / stop is still active, i thought this got disabled when its doing a regen? I always disable it anyway but forgot when i first set off.
Nothings changed yet anyway, i think I'll ring the dealers up and see what they say as well.
Maybe it needs a proper blip up the motorway for 30mins or so?
One journey i haven't made since May time this year was a 200 mile & back trip up to Lincolnshire, usually do that at least 3 times a year. Other than that it local driving.
Wonder if it is the regen thing whether that was enough to clean things out.  

Just rung the dealers, they said if it was doing a regen that it wouldn't be doing it all the time?
I'll leave it a few days and see if it clears. Going to be £90 just to get some kind of answer out of them if it goes in....

Edited by Gonzini

?

How many miles has you 2019 1.0TSI done?

Remember that the important thing is being off the accelerator once the engine, cat, gpf is up to temperature.

It is not the same as a DPF. 

Then,

Yours is not blocked, you are getting the high idle as the car does what is required to ensure it does not block. 

• Like 1

These SSP documents should be useful to read (for anyone wondering how GPF works)

SSP558 Close-coupled Petrol Particulate Filter - Design and Function.pdf

SSP590 Underbody Petrol Particulate Filter.pdf

Very similar to DPF, they have passive/active and workshop regeneration cycle's.

Screenshot_2022-11-01-10-17-23-504_com.google.android_apps.pdfviewer.thumb.jpg.82e64a7b4f8ddb301c8c947541dea547.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

See also other thread about possible cause of high idle. -

Edited by nta16

2 hours ago, roottoot said:

?

How many miles has you 2019 1.0TSI done?

Remember that the important thing is being off the accelerator once the engine, cat, gpf is up to temperature.

It is not the same as a DPF. 

Then,

Yours is not blocked, you are getting the high idle as the car does what is required to ensure it does not block. 

Just coming up to 14000 miles..
Bit conflicting information there, manual says to keep the revs up between 3 / 5K, lift off accelerator for a few sec then reapply. But my warning lights not on which reference's that action anyway.
So do you mean just coast in gear at 3/4K rpm as much as possible?

Edited by Gonzini

1 hour ago, varooom said:

These SSP documents should be useful to read (for anyone wondering how GPF works)

SSP558 Close-coupled Petrol Particulate Filter - Design and Function.pdf

SSP590 Underbody Petrol Particulate Filter.pdf

Very similar to DPF, they have passive/active and workshop regeneration cycle's.

Screenshot_2022-11-01-10-17-23-504_com.google.android_apps.pdfviewer.thumb.jpg.82e64a7b4f8ddb301c8c947541dea547.jpg

Cheers, I'll have a read.
Could find the second PDF online , SSP590

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gonzini said:

Just coming up to 14000 miles..
Bit conflicting information there, manual says to keep the revs up between 3 / 5K, lift off accelerator for a few sec then reapply. But my warning lights no on which reference's that action anyway.
So do you mean just coast in gear at 3/4K rpm as much as possible?

If you look at the data I posted, your soot will be between 15% and 55%, so the car will do active regeneration and not put on a light yet.

Once your light comes on, then you need to follow what the manual say's.

Odds are you perhaps have done slightly shorter journeys, or driving the car a little too economical (which is understandable!) but now the car itself is taking over the regeneration by doing an active cycle.

• Thanks 1

Ok cheers, i did have a look.
There's nothing about this occurring in the manual in the way that I've seen it happen with mine.
That's why i thought it was broken!
I'll drive it fairly normally but work through the gears at higher revs than normal then.

• Like 1

Does the regen indicator illuminate during the self test when the ignition is first switched on? 💡

Someone might have been doing a bit of covering up.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Does the regen indicator illuminate during the self test when the ignition is first switched on? 💡

Someone might have been doing a bit of covering up.

I have a look later, dash lights up like a xmas tree but i only notice if something stays on which it doesn't to date.
Don't think there's any covering up unless the dealer's up to tricks.. Which i very much doubt. 
Its the first odd thing I've had with it in 3 years and a few months from new.

On my last 2016 TDI the DPF did not have a check light come up, when the DPF was blocked it came up in the Maxidit with a message.

Same with my mk2 Fabia and the Engine / Exhaust emissions light, or red oil can low oil pressure warning, they were not shown with other check lights. 

1 hour ago, roottoot said:

On my last 2016 TDI the DPF did not have a check light come up, when the DPF was blocked it came up in the Maxidit with a message.

Same with my mk2 Fabia and the Engine / Exhaust emissions light, or red oil can low oil pressure warning, they were not shown with other check lights. 

This is petrol so i guess might well behave differently.
It was hesitant a bit on the return journey when i first started off but got me home.
Not sure how long it will do this for, if it is doing a regen and not some other problem.
I think I'd better get breakdown cover sorted. I didn't renew it when the 3 year warranty was up 2 months ago.

19 minutes ago, roottoot said:

@Gonzini There are plenty on here with a 2018 on 1.0 TSI that can check if when the Ignition on lights / dash warning light check is done shows a GPF (OPF)  light / symbol.

I did look earlier but they don't stay on for long. Will try again in the morning.

I know how hard it can be, there are so many symbols on the self test and they go out so quickly, you have to know what you are looking for and where!

Unless your soot level goes above roughly 55% you won't see the lamp/warning on MFD.

It does state it can take 5-20minutes at the high rev range and speed of 50km/h to 120km/h.

Perhaps you need to find a longer dual carriageway, as 5 mile stretch is too short, potentially you will need 20 miles at 60mph of course for a 20 minute run time.

32 minutes ago, varooom said:

Unless your soot level goes above roughly 55% you won't see the lamp/warning on MFD.

It does state it can take 5-20minutes at the high rev range and speed of 50km/h to 120km/h.

Perhaps you need to find a longer dual carriageway, as 5 mile stretch is too short, potentially you will need 20 miles at 60mph of course for a 20 minute run time.

I'm doing 18 miles a day, its country back roads. I can get on the motorway to do that run but slow moving heavy traffic puts me off that one. Could even end up being parked up.
I wonder if i had done the 400 mile journey up & back to Lincolnshire it would of stopped it. I usually do that journey 3 times through the year. Maybe that's been enough in the past.

Should be up there middle / end of next month. (if the cars working....)

Just don't do that many longer journeys these days, i could take it up the motorway over the weekend i guess & have a day out somewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I know how hard it can be, there are so many symbols on the self test and they go out so quickly, you have to know what you are looking for and where!

Exactly that, I'll just enable the ignition in the morning before starting. I think they all come up then. I'll see if its on there!

• Like 1