Karoq cam belt change - start saving now !

DBSurrey

20 minutes ago, varooom said:

It's the letters before that, DACA / DADA / DPCA for example

There aren’t any letters before that. But there is a separate line for “Variant”, which is described as “ACDADAX0”. Does this mean anything?

28 minutes ago, Mark-Surrey said:

There aren’t any letters before that. But there is a separate line for “Variant”, which is described as “ACDADAX0”. Does this mean anything?

Someone lent on the keyboard at Swansea, if you can PM your VIN over, it will be easier.

I suspect it's DADA, but be nice to confirm.

If DADA or DCPA, then it has the lifelong belt, and is EA211 EVO where the cambelt change needs the electronic tool to time it up.

Edited by varooom

1 hour ago, Modders said:

Just stumbled across this on YouTube, it doesn’t mention ACT so may not be relevant but may be of interest anyway…

Many thanks for this.  I think it goes a long way to explain the reasons for the higher cost of changing the timing belt (equipment, labour and knowhow).  If only the manufacturer and dealerships would get their stories aligned regarding the interval (mileage and time) for changing the belt.  On the one hand we read it's 5 years or 50k miles and the other there is no time or mileage limit (i.e. "lifetime belt").

• Like 1

We have the locking tools but have discovered these are not accurate enough and the new VW tool, which is accurate to 0.05 degree, is nearly £3k plus VAT so we are thinking about it. So far the ones we have done have been fine but until we get the tool we have suspended doing the ACT versions. Anyway, the VAG SSP on the engine and the online service system say there is no interval.

ACT cam timing tool_page-0001.jpg

• Like 1

On 19/02/2023 at 10:20, DBSurrey said:

On the one hand we read it's 5 years or 50k miles and the other there is no time or mileage limit (i.e. "lifetime belt").

Did anyone specifically tell you there's no time or mileage limit or is that just your own interpretation of 'lifetime belt' ?

When it comes to devices such as timing belts, waiting until wear starts to occur before changing it is akin to playing Russian Roulette.

Please remember it's not just the belt that's changed but tentioners etc as well. Even if a belt were made of some indestructable material - it still needs changing !

Every engine will have a time and/or mileage restriction for when the belt needs changing. Ignore that manufacturer at your peril.

8 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Did anyone specifically tell you there's no time or mileage limit or is that just your own interpretation of 'lifetime belt' ?

When it comes to devices such as timing belts, waiting until wear starts to occur before changing it is akin to playing Russian Roulette.

Please remember it's not just the belt that's changed but tentioners etc as well. Even if a belt were made of some indestructable material - it still needs changing !

Every engine will have a time and/or mileage restriction for when the belt needs changing. Ignore that manufacturer at your peril.

How about the quote by Varoom on 8th Feb taken from the service manual edition 04.2022 ?

• Like 3

Interesting that the tool description states 'reduces the time and finincial expenditure of the repair'

<sarcasm>So why are the dealers claiming there's more work ? </sarcasm>

@Crasherthanks for the reply, hopefully you'll have the tool by the time mine needs replacing😀

Edited by NottsIan

4 minutes ago, NottsIan said:

Interesting that the tool description states 'reduces the time and finincial expenditure of the repair'

<sarcasm>So why are the dealers claiming there's more work ? </sarcasm>

@Crasherthanks for the reply, hopefully you'll have the tool by the time mine needs replacing😀

Staff training, cost of equipment & risk of an expensive mistake maybe ?  Or it might be that the statement means the equipment takes away the need for a lengthy iterative process.

16 hours ago, DBSurrey said:

How about the quote by Varoom on 8th Feb taken from the service manual edition 04.2022 ?

What about it?

This is what Varoom wrote: "now Skoda UK, Skoda Czech can recommend you do it at XX Km or Y Years, but that's to cover their ass basically."

So if for whatever reason a belt goes at 6yr / 24,000 miles, the unfortunate owner's claim is going to be what exactly? "Yes I know Skoda UK recommended I should have changed it at 5yr but there's this bloke on a forum who I've never met said it's 210,000km ?"

That's absolutely no disrepect whatsoever to Varoom but you have to go with what your supplier says. I don't give a xxx what the service interval is in Australia or wherever else because the car I bought was supplied by Skoda UK and Skoda UK says xyz.  I'm not concenrend how long a belt has been deemed to last near Ayres Rock, it's how long it lasts near the Bass Rock I'm bothered about. 🤣

People believe what they want to believe and see what they want to see and never let basic common sense get in the way of it. There's no point in debating with a brick wall, if Skoda UK say it's 5yr / 50,000 miles ( whichever comes first ) then if you own a UK Skoda, that's what it is and there's nothing you can do about it. I can't understand how people can make an issue out of it.

But as @Root said previously, it's only recommended - nobody is forcing a gun to your head to have the belt changed.

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 1
  • Groan 1

13 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

What about it?

You clearly failed to use the link I provided to actually look at the post @DBSurrey meant. The one where there's a table of intervals in Skoda's own info, with a - (dash) against the interval for petrol 1.5s in non-dusty countries, meaning no interval specified.

• Like 2

Simple enough then.

Get Skoda / VW Group approved repairers or Skoda UK Customer Services to confirm in writing that is the Recommendation, Guidelines or Schedule they are going with.

Then you take your pick on what you want to do as you run your 5 year and older 1.5 TSI ACT 150 ps vehicle in the UK. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kodiaqsportline said:

I'm not concerned how long a belt has been deemed to last near Uluru, it's how long it lasts near the Bass Rock I'm bothered about.

Just how near the Bass Rock are you operating this vehicle? ;) 

It has brought an awareness to some and hopefully to more in the future about having the Timing Belt replaced on a 1.5 TSI ACT and the advice from VW Group Main Dealers, the price / quotes and if owners need to get whoever to confirm the info they give and if their Workshop Technicians can actually do the job.

Lots and lots of 1.5 TSI ACT vehicles will be at 5 years or going over that in the UK & there will be people looking to buy used ones and need to know what a FMDSH should maybe include having been done if they are told the vehicle was always serviced on time or as advised by the Dealership. 

• Like 1