Tyre change options… ?

T-O-C

Hi all, wondering if anyone has reliable info or experience of changing tyre profile on 2018 Karoq Executive ? Car has 225/40/R19 which I believe is standard fitment with 19” Crater wheels.  I am aware that the Scout version, which I think is 4 x 4 has 225/45/R19 tyres on same rim.  In search of a smoother, less bumpy ride I am thinking about the slightly higher profile as per Scout. Skoda dealer won’t advise, and seems reluctant to check part nos for suspension to see if there are any differences that may cause a problem going up a fraction. Anyone out there done this or been in this position ? Regards… 

Two options, change wheel rims, or just the tyres.

As a general guide any tyre with Sport or Eco in its name is going to be firmer. Also bear in mind that tyres will be harder when rubber is cold.   So if finding them rough in cold weather then change from summer tyres to all season or winter tyres which are softer when cool.

But if you have dodgy bones, arthritis etc and need comfort then change to smaller rims (the overall diameter is about same), look at this catalogue then sell the existing wheels, or store them until going to sell the car

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/505977-skoda-alloy-wheel-brochure-2022/

Thanks to all for the responses, still finding our way round this forum business but we’ll get there.. looks like I’ll be going for “all season” tyres, can’t afford to change rims with cambelt job on the horizon..  besides, I do like the Crater wheels, I guess I just thought going up a touch in profile would provide a bit more “give” but from comments it seems probably not….  

7 hours ago, T-O-C said:

Thanks to all for the responses, still finding our way round this forum business but we’ll get there.. looks like I’ll be going for “all season” tyres, can’t afford to change rims with cambelt job on the horizon..  besides, I do like the Crater wheels, I guess I just thought going up a touch in profile would provide a bit more “give” but from comments it seems probably not….  

One option, is 215/60R16 tyres fitted to 7Jx16 ET45 rims from the Yeti. However, if you like 225 tyres, then 225/55R16 would fit those rims.

7Jx16 ET45 rims were also fitted to the Superb MK2, but whereas the Yeti used 215/60R16 tyres on this specification of rim, the Superb MK2 used 205/55R16 tyres which have about a 5% smaller outside diameter than 215/60R16 tyres. The outside diameter of 205/55R16 tyres is far too small for the Karoq because the speedometer would over-read by about 10%, ie. 70mph on the speedo would mean an actual speed of about 63mph, and 50mph on the speedo would mean an actual speed of about 45mph, etc.

The difference in ride comfort between 225/55R16 and 225/40R19 is night and day.

As you can see from the two links below, 16" tyres including new rims can be cheaper than 19" tyres on their own.

Vredestein Quatrac 225/55R16 95V

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m139b0s8009p201104/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_-_225_55_R16_95V_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_71dB

7Jx16 ET45 5/112 57.1 steel rim (from Yeti and Superb MK2)

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rims/details?vehicleId=182363349315490928&rimCode=ALCAR9257

To get the comfort of a 225/45R18 from a 225/40R19, you would have to underinflate the 225/40R19 by about 3psi.

To get the comfort of a 225/50R17 from a 225/40R19, you would have to underinflate the 225/40R19 by about 7psi.

To get the comfort of a 225/55R16 from a 225/40R19, you would have to underinflate the 225/40R19 by about 9psi.

So, if you want a night and day difference from a 225 tyre on the Karoq, go for the 225/55R16 option (although 225/50R17 isn't far behind). In the above chart, I haven't taken into account rim width, and because the 225/40R19 tyre size is normally fitted to a rather wide 8J rim on the Karoq, the difference is even bigger than shown when changing to a smaller rim diameter.

Compared to 225/40R19, 225/45R19 increases the gearing by 3.4% so the engine won't pull the gears so well. If you want more sidewall and more comfort, it's probably best to choose a smaller diameter rim size so that the outside diameter of the tyre is still about the same as standard.

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

With Burton on Trent probably the worst roads for potholes in the country I put 4 Michelin Primacy  225/55R17  on 7J Tiguan alloys and put them on my Karoq sportline beginning of February and they are very quiet and very comfortable

Edited by JEFF-the-Bowman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help. I see two possible options. The easiest one is to change my tyres to All Season tyres,  Michelin Cross Climate being one option, which would offer a slightly softer ride. Option two would be a complete wheel change down to R17 (215/55R17 which would cost me for the wheels but make a small saving on tyre replacements.

Will feedback my final decision. But now close this topic and thanks for the amazing and helpful info.