Jacking points

Just a stupid question from someone that should know better.

To do some fettling on the car I want to jack it up (trolley jack plus bit of wood to protect the seam cos I'm not totally stupid) and put it on the axle stands.

The Haynes manual (source of much cobblers) says the the jacking points are marked on the cills and to use no other part. So I assume the cill area directly beneath the "arrow" is reinforced.

OK... but if I've got the jack located at the arrow how do I get the stand in there?

Any suggests?

Yes, the arrowed areas are double skinned so are suitable for jacking on. I don't like jacking against painted areas that can be seen as before you know it rust will appear as you will end up cracking some paintwork. What I do with my wife's Polo, is, using a bit of padded shaped hardwork, jack up with a trolley jack where you can fit jacking point protectors - ie Audi TT ones that you can fit and forget - these will be points that the workshop lift contacts the car, then again using grooved and shaped hardwood bolts lined with a small bit of machinery foot padding stuff, support the car using two or four axcle stands at the four arowed points. Adding these Audi TT jacking point protectors is really handy as when you go to jack the car up using a normal DIYer trolley jack, you just look underneath, move the trolley jack to the correct point (without faffing around with blocks of wood), and jack it up.

I think that you will find that world wide nowadays, if you buy one of these newer versions of screw (scissers) jacks, then you will find that it will have the industry standard slot in it to locate on the sill folded welded bit - but they will always end up cracking the paint - but will let you safely get the car up off the ground - which is what they are meant for.

I thought that Haynes also points out four other locations - which just happen to be the points that I've found the correct holes to fit the jacking protectors into - clue - these four points are covered by thin plastic covers and not thicker softer roughly the same sized grommets.

Edited by rum4mo

Are these Audi TT jacking point protectors readily available from an Audi dealer then? Just curious!

Any idea of a part number? Just don't want to look a complete tool if I go in and ask for them by name as I have no idea what they look like!

I had this problem just the other day, the answer is to jack it more centrally using something solid like the subframe as a point. Then if you get angle of the jack just right you can fit an axle stand in. Hope that helped

Are these Audi TT jacking point protectors readily available from an Audi dealer then? Just curious!

Any idea of a part number? Just don't want to look a complete tool if I go in and ask for them by name as I have no idea what they look like!

This should help - it's from R32 Owners Club site but the part numbers and principles are the same;

http://www.r32oc.com/performance-technical/10910-mk4-r32-jacking-point-mod-worthwhile-look-plus-install-guide.html

• 1 month later...

Have just read that the TT jacking point protectors are only meant to be used in a garage/workshop when both sides are lifted at once, and there is some suggestion jacking one side at a time could bend the floor pan.