Yeti Wheels 16' versus 17" and the spare

BillN_33

my 140bhp 4WD Ambition is coming with Spitsberg 17' wheels - it is a new car that the dealer found for me in the dealer network, so I'm getting it in 2 weeks

The Ambition is the Euro SE spec and the 17' wheels are a Euro 260 option - reading about wheels maybe I would be better with the 16" Moon

I am not too bothered about how they look - I am more interested in how the car rides on "roughish" roads and I also tow a small trailer, (Bike and other), with the car regularly - are the 17" wheels any good "off road" - I see that from some of the Utube vids that the cars have them fitted

Your views would be much appreciated as I may try to get them changed

The Spare - Does the LHD Ambition, (bought in France), come with a spare - I never checked with the dealer as I presumed that it did - I see that the spare is a Euro 60 option but also read that it will cost maybe 5 times that if bought from a dealer - should I just buy a regular 16" metal wheel, (as I read that these are just £45), and get a tyre fitted - can you mix wheel sizes, (16" and 17"), on the same axle even for short distances?

Cheers

Edited by BillN_33

I personally would prefer 16" wheels, but they are not an option in the UK.

The spare in the UK is a 195/60? R16 on a steel rim - see the tyre & rim guide produced by The Plumber in the yeti technical section.

You would be limited to 50mph/80kph.

Mike

PS Ask your dealer for a spare....not a one fitted later but supplied...should be cheaper .

Edited by rockhopper

Hi,

not so sure on the French spec re the spare but there is a guide on what this option includes spare wheel

Regard wheel size then personally I think your better off with the 16" but I'm sure others will favour the 17" sports tyres. Again there is a guide that might be of interest Tyre and rim guide Have used the standard 17" and the winter 205/55 R16 set-ups on my previous Yeti and certainly for ride comfort the winter option was better with only a marginal drop off in handling in high speed bends, which I'm sure would be even less noticeable on the standard 215/60 R16 tyres.

Regards,

TP

Thanks for your links

am I reading this correctly - the basic arrangement is NO spare, NO Jack, NO wheel brace - if so that seems crazy!!!

Thanks for your links

am I reading this correctly - the basic arrangement is NO spare, NO Jack, NO wheel brace - if so that seems crazy!!!

Sadly correct, you instead get a tin of tyre weld and a compressor; although you might still get the brace :wonder:

Oh meant to ask if you have used the French Forum for information My link

Regards,

TP

Edited by The Plumber

Sadly correct, you instead get a tin of tyre weld and a compressor; although you might still get the brace :wonder:

TP

what a load of "billiards" - IMHO

The price of the dealer fit tow bar versus the factory option is also "taking the p1ss"

Edited by BillN_33

what a load of "billiards" - IMHO

The price of the dealer fit tow bar versus the factory option is also "taking the p1ss"

The UK versions do not get the factory tow option due to Skoda UK trying to keep the weight down for emissions. Likewise they stopped us ordering a spare with a sunroof for the same reason (sunroof now withdrawn from UK; we were ordering to many :giggle: )

TP

TP

thanks for the link to the French site - trying to get the French dealer down on the price of the tow bar - he wants 750 Euros - I know that it is important to get it done "right" as I have a SAAB with the same (canbus) considerations and reversing sensor - plus I know that there is 3 hours work to do the job

I'll have a word with him on Monday about the spare - maybe I can get a new steel 16'' that will fit into the boot space

He quoted me 12 weeks for a new factory order on the 4WD or 8 weeks on the 110 2WD - so when he said he could get me the colour, engine and spec I wanted in 15 days, (it has to be collected from another dealer, (I suppose that they will "rag" it down the Autoroute when they delivery it - dealer to dealer) - then PDIed), plus a useful discount, I jumped at it.

Just a pity about the 17" wheels and a few other small "bits" that I wanted - I'll ask him if he can changed the Spits for the 16" Moon, but as they are already on the vehicle I doubt he will do that although it is new with "zero" kms

Thanks again guys, for your quick responses

Cheers

TP

thanks for the link to the French site - trying to get the French dealer down on the price of the tow bar - he wants 750 Euros - I know that it is important to get it done "right" as I have a SAAB with the same (canbus) considerations and reversing sensor - plus I know that there is 3 hours work to do the job

I'll have a word with him on Monday about the spare - maybe I can get a new steel 16'' that will fit into the boot space

He quoted me 12 weeks for a new factory order on the 4WD or 8 weeks on the 110 2WD - so when he said he could get me the colour, engine and spec I wanted in 15 days, (it has to be collected from another dealer, (I suppose that they will "rag" it down the Autoroute when they delivery it - dealer to dealer) - then PDIed), plus a useful discount, I jumped at it.

Just a pity about the 17" wheels and a few other small "bits" that I wanted - I'll ask him if he can changed the Spits for the 16" Moon, but as they are already on the vehicle I doubt he will do that although it is new with "zero" kms

Thanks again guys, for your quick responses

Cheers

If he is offering a tow bar for 750 euros, grab it with both hands, mine for an octavia cost over 1100 euros, six hours labour standard Skoda charge!

If he is offering a tow bar for 750 euros, grab it with both hands, mine for an octavia cost over 1100 euros, six hours labour standard Skoda charge!

Why not have a short break in the UK (cheap tickets on offer from Eurotunnel at the moment) and have it fitted here, note on this forum of somebody paying £390 (approx 500 Euros) all, in including electronics resetting etc for a swan neck tow bar. Lots of other offers about..see this link http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/192847-tow-bars-special-offer/page__p__2299458__fromsearch__1#entry2299458

Edited by Millstone

A very quick search for tyres using sizes provided above showed an increase of aroud 40-50 quid per corner for the 17s. Also the 16s tyre size is a lot more common. More reason to get 16s!! lol

• 2 years later...

I ordered mine here in France ( awaiting delivery) and no, the spare is not std but a 70 euro option. Also I paid 460 euros for prep and fit of the removable tow bar. Hope this helps.

By the way, if you are still negotiating, I got 9% off the on the road total price, including options, then got mudflaps and transverse roof bars thrown in - not easy here but they do discount if you are in the right dealership.

When I tried to specify 16" wheels a year ago, the dealer quoted IRO £1.7K, so you've been offered a bargain! You have to go direct to SUK to get this variation of the UK standard at no cost. I can't spare the time at this moment to look it all up for you but do spend an hour or so doing searches here on the Yeti forum for threads on this problem. Search ' 16" ' . Save a bit of time by restricting it to the last two years, with Expatman, Vegit8, The Plumber and possibly myself as authors. Perhaps one of these will come in to help you soon.

It can be done, and has been done. See my signature below!!

Our car is LHD Amibition 140 4x4 bought here in France.

The car does not have a spare tyre....just one one those survival canisters that blow cr@p into your tyre. Does not work tried it on my bike once.

The Yeti as standard comes with 16 " tyres....17" are an option.

When we went to order the car, our dealer had a Yeti (same model and even colour) that we wanted that had just arrived in the showroom. We had the option to buy it but the dealership had ordered it with 17 " tyres. Now I know nothing about sizes of tyres (handling, performance, MPG ect) except I do know that the bigger the tyre the more rubbish it will be in snow...that is the sum total of my knowledge. However, I was ready to pay for this car but the dealer strongly advised us not too (he is a friend who has sold us all our skodas) and instead order a standard yeti (our model/spec/colour ect) without 17" wheels as an option. The reason why he told us to do that have all been discussed on this forum before. We took his advice, but had to wait three months to get the car. I have never driven a Yeti on 17" tyres but would love to just to see/if there is, any difference.

Edited by MCAMRA

I have ordered a Yeti 4x4. The dealer has quoted £1,535 for 16" wheels instead of 17", I plan to pay £600 instead from a tyre place. I have checked its OK with insurers

Hi and welcome,

if you have only just placed the order and waiting for a build date, then I would e-mail the boss of Skoda UK before spending the extra money.

[email protected]

Ask him why your being asked to pay such a large amount of money to get the wheels of your choice, when they are standard or a free fractory option in other European countries. Also politely point out to him, that your aware other UK customers (nine to date since 2011) have been able to get their orders amended to include these wheels and that you would appreciate being able to do the same.

Hope of help,

TP

• Like 1