Mesh fitted to lower Grille

My_Yeti

I have had a look at the lower grill on my Yeti and under further investigation, I have found the lower part of the air conditioning heater matrix is quite badly chipped.

My previous cars never had so many chips and I am wondering whether you have the same problems on yours?

I will try to take some photoes later today.

My question is whether this: http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/188178-for-diesel-yeti-drivers-out-there/page__p__2248898entry2248898 would be a useful sollution or whether making a mesh grill for it would be a better solution?

Edited by My_Yeti

I know the problem from my Octavia and used some galvanised 5mm square mesh wire, painted black, from the local DIY store to cover the original open grille, see here;-

OctaviavRS095.jpg

I'm planning to do a similar thing to Kevin and from post #5 in this thread http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/188760-how-do-i-get-this-off/ feel that it should be an easy job to remove the 'bumper cover' place a piece of mesh, cut slightly larger than the grille opening, on the bumper and then clamp it in place by refitting the 'bumper cover'.

Only thing stopping me at the moment is that it is a bit too chilly to be working outside on the car!

Excellent, thanks.

I am thinking along the same line, Looking at the schematic, do I just remove the 3 X Number 13 screws to get behind that?

Cheers

That's what I'm thinking, but am worried as to whether the top edges of the bumper cover are pinned into the gap between the top and bottom bumper sections and that you need to split the top/bottom. The only way to find out will be to remove the three screws, no 13, (likely to be Torx 20 or 25 head screw) and try to remove the cover.

That's what I'm thinking, but am worried as to whether the top edges of the bumper cover are pinned into the gap between the top and bottom bumper sections and that you need to split the top/bottom. The only way to find out will be to remove the three screws, no 13, (likely to be Torx 20 or 25 head screw) and try to remove the cover.

Thanks, will definitely investigate when it's slightly warmer outside........

• 1 month later...

Finally fitted the mesh to the lower grille.

I was going to fit it behind the existing grille but I could not remove the top grille and the access also seem too tight.

So here is the finished product: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59141682@N08/5512718510/

I am not particularly pleased. Not a big fan of the look, but hopefully it would stop any more stone getting near the heater matrix.

On the Octavia II there is a stock part (I can check up the part number if you are interested) that is supposed to protect the condenser of the AC-system. It comes as standard on Norwegian Octavia cars, but I have never seen it on a Yeti.

It's a plastic mesh that fits directly on the condenser and protects the horisontal tubes (where the gas runs) of the condenser against small stones and other debris. I fitted this to my Yeti, and it fits pefectly without doing anything with the look of the car. The only bad thing is that the bumper cover needs to come of to install it.

:yes:

On the Octavia II there is a stock part (I can check up the part number if you are interested) that is supposed to protect the condenser of the AC-system. It comes as standard on Norwegian Octavia cars, but I have never seen it on a Yeti.

It's a plastic mesh that fits directly on the condenser and protects the horisontal tubes (where the gas runs) of the condenser against small stones and other debris. I fitted this to my Yeti, and it fits pefectly without doing anything with the look of the car. The only bad thing is that the bumper cover needs to come of to install it.

:yes:

Hi JonA,

that sounds a good idea :thumbup: would the following be the guard in question (item 15)

Regards,

TP

The plastic guard in nr 15 is right. Should come or be bougth with the clips nr 16.

Very easy to "stick" on the matrix (condensor) with those clips. Just carefully clip them

into the "cooler" .

Next to the original plastic guard I made a guard out of mesh (bought at the local DIY store

in stainless steel). Just cut out the right dimension and than covered the sides with a rubber fuel line,

I cut open over the length to put it over the sharp edges of the mesh.

I mounted this just in front of the radiators.

Even did the same in the audi. Bit more complicated to fit, because there were more parts to remove,

but the effect is the same.

The airco matrix of my VRS still looked unmarked after 150tkm with a lot of autobahn km over 100mph.

Hi JonA,

that sounds a good idea :thumbup: would the following be the guard in question (item 15)

Regards,

TP

Spot on! And like magic62 says, buy some of the clips (item 16) to secure it to the condenser :thumbup:

Finally fitted the mesh to the lower grille.

I was going to fit it behind the existing grille but I could not remove the top grille and the access also seem too tight.

So here is the finished product: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59141682@N08/5512718510/

I am not particularly pleased. Not a big fan of the look, but hopefully it would stop any more stone getting near the heater matrix.

How have you attached the grille? Looks like a couple of cable ties; perhaps?

How have you attached the grille? Looks like a couple of cable ties; perhaps?

Yup Cable ties, and as I couldn't access the back of the grille, the clips are visible. To be honest, it might be a much better idea to fit the mesh behind the grille, or get some black ones, they look better. I might paint the cable ties silver to see if it makes it nicer.

IMHO - it does not look great - but that's just my opinion - especially because the car has quite a high ground clearance, (so you notice it more), plus it is such a large area

as you say - if it was behind the grill and painted black maybe it would look better

Have you considered any reduction in air flow - especially in summer

but as I said just my opinion so please do not take offence

Cheers

Not offended at all.

As I said, I am not a fan of the look and the original plan was to put the mesh behind the original grille, and hence bought silver mesh.

However, I could not remove the top grille despite removing the screw and the 4 plastic clips, even if that is removed, the access behind the lower grille from there is limited and there is a block of polystyrene intruding the access. Furthermore, it is impossible to fit 1 piece of mesh behind it even if I could remove the polystyrene and the top grille.

There shouldn't be any reduced airflow as the mesh lets air in quite well. The original idea is to keep any more chipping to the air con matrix, so hopefully it would work.

Yup Cable ties, and as I couldn't access the back of the grille, the clips are visible. To be honest, it might be a much better idea to fit the mesh behind the grille, or get some black ones, they look better. I might paint the cable ties silver to see if it makes it nicer.

Actually I think you will find, as I did on my Octavia vRS, that with the mesh behind the grille it is a complete pain for the reasons of i) you can't easily clean it, ii) you get loads of debris caught in it that is difficult to remove and iii) you then do not actually see the mesh at all so get no styling effect.

IMHO it looks as if you have done a pretty good job with some decent mesh the problem is now being one of 'styling'. I think the silver mesh stands out too much particularly with the silver trim of the bumper and your light body colour. Overall I'd suggest instead of painting your black cable ties silver, paint the mesh black.

Edited by bahnstormer vrs