Winter Tyres (again) help/advice required

servicepoint

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Vred Wintrac Extremes and VW steelies arrived on Wednesday - will get them put togther tomorrow.

Has anyone ever painted/coated their steelies, used the small hubcaps or used 16" wheel trims ?

Have the black steelies from the dealer and have just given them a coat or two of wax and some spray underbody seal on the inside. The wheel trims I bought were non Skoda issue from a wholesaler (about a tenner for four, I recall)....but I'm not sure how long I'll keep them on. The proper Rif ones will, I suspect, look a lot better. But then they would at £118 a set (and that might have been with VAT at the old rate ?) And if I kerb one I'll not be happy.

Will any 16" wheel trims fit the Skoda steelies?

Almost certainly yes. The cheapies have a very basic sprung steel ring clipped in place on plastic supports and can be secured with grey coloured cable ties (see Ebay). Can't speak from experience re. the Skoda 'Rif' ones. The great thing about cheapies is you can spray all four with a tin of 'Steel Wheels' spray and they'll be as good as new should you scrape one......or you go out and get another set for not a lot.

Almost certainly yes. The cheapies have a very basic sprung steel ring clipped in place on plastic supports and can be secured with grey coloured cable ties (see Ebay). Can't speak from experience re. the Skoda 'Rif' ones. The great thing about cheapies is you can spray all four with a tin of 'Steel Wheels' spray and they'll be as good as new should you scrape one......or you go out and get another set for not a lot.

Believe the Rif wheel trims may only fit the 7Jx16 rims due too the depth of a central support 'column' on the back of the trim. Skoda produce another trim cover aptly named 'Cold' (CDB 630 001) for the 6Jx16 rims, although I'm not sure if that's available in the UK.

TP

My Vred Wintrac Extremes and VW steelies arrived on Wednesday - will get them put togther tomorrow.

Has anyone ever painted/coated their steelies, used the small hubcaps or used 16" wheel trims ?

Have a look at this link:

http://chrishowells.co.uk/?page_id=252

Looks easy enough. If you have it done proffesionally it costs in the region of £250 to £350! Not worth it in my book. See here for places:

http://briskoda.net/...09#entry2102209

http://briskoda.net/...y-wheel-refurb/

I have black Å koda wheels at the moment and have already bought the silver spray paint. So as soon as I get time my wheels will go silver!

As to trims. I'd avoid full trims as in serious snow the snow very easily clogs behind full trims which can unbalance a wheel whilst driving and also make the bits there too wet as it melts once you've parked up. Go for some small centre caps from a VW Caddy van.

Have a look at this link:

http://chrishowells.co.uk/?page_id=252

Looks easy enough. If you have it done proffesionally it costs in the region of £250 to £350! Not worth it in my book. See here for places:

http://briskoda.net/...09#entry2102209

http://briskoda.net/...y-wheel-refurb/

I have black Å koda wheels at the moment and have already bought the silver spray paint. So as soon as I get time my wheels will go silver!

As to trims. I'd avoid full trims as in serious snow the snow very easily clogs behind full trims which can unbalance a wheel whilst driving and also make the bits there too wet as it melts once you've parked up. Go for some small centre caps from a VW Caddy van.

Johann - Are the Caddy centre hub caps the ones which fit mytyres steel rims. I think that this is what you found out but can't find find the post :0(

Johann - Are the Caddy centre hub caps the ones which fit mytyres steel rims. I think that this is what you found out but can't find find the post :0(

The round ones that cover the nuts won't fit mytyres steel wheels as the wheels are too "dishy" and thus the caps can't go down enough to fully engage to the nuts. These ones do however fit fine since they have a much smaller circumference:

imgp3944b.jpg

Their part number is 2K0 601 169.

To see them on my car click here.

__

The round ones that cover the nuts won't fit mytyres steel wheels as the wheels are too "dishy" and thus the caps can't go down enough to fully engage to the nuts. These ones do however fit fine since they have a much smaller circumference:

Many thanks Johann. Now you have told me I remember :wonder:

There is a set on ebay at the moment but they are the wrong ones for me. Saved me bidding because if I had won I would have lost!!

imgp3944b.jpg

Their part number is 2K0 601 169.

To see them on my car click here.

Who says VW is expensive :rofl:

New VW hub caps as specified by Johann are £6.10 + vat each whereas £14.99 + £5.50 postage is being asked for a single second hand one on eechbay.

Thanks again Johann!!

John

Who says VW is expensive :rofl:

New VW hub caps as specified by Johann are £6.10 + vat each whereas £14.99 + £5.50 postage is being asked for a single second hand one on eechbay.

Thanks again Johann!!

John

Well I be never... Result!

Mine were £12.50 for a set of four off eBay. They don't turn up all that often and I think folks are aware that there is a bit of an 'underground' demand for them. I must remember to post a picture of them now that I've modified them a bit...

Where did you get the price new? I couldn't find anyone who would admit to knowing what they were, even with the part number. (Mind you, I did strop out of my local VW dealer in a huff after they professionally ignored me for five minutes after I walked in through their front door.)

I must remember to post a picture of them now that I've modified them a bit...

Yes please post your modifications! I've got some Å koda centre badges from eBay and just need the time to glue them to the caps! What did you do to yours? Took a soldering iron to the "nuts" and modified the VOLKSWAGEN to read Å koda? :giggle:

I'm veering off here and I'm sure its already been covered but whats the recommendations for protecting the inside of your winter steel wheels. I had thought about the spray wax but decided against that as I'm not sure how that would stand up to the wheel rotation and heat from the brakes resulting in the wax being everywhere except the inside of the wheel. I'm thinking more of spraying the inside with an underseal type paint, Halfords didn't have any so ended up ordering some from Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300589553872&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:1123

Should this be ok and do the trick?

Yes please post your modifications! I've got some Å koda centre badges from eBay and just need the time to glue them to the caps! What did you do to yours? Took a soldering iron to the "nuts" and modified the VOLKSWAGEN to read Å koda? :giggle:

Sorry, my pokerwork isn't up to that kind of detail! Here's some quick pics taken tonight: front view back view

I bought some 58mm Skoda alloy wheel centre caps (like these ones) off eBay. I removed the tabs on the back which are supposed to hold them in place on the alloys - they came off very easily by bending and tearing them (carefully!) with a set of pliers, then I tidied up the rough stubs with a Stanley knife.

The Caddy centre caps are quite domed in the middle, so I cut most of the big VW logo away with a fret saw, drilling a 6mm hole first to get the saw blade in position to start the cut. I did make sure to leave a bit of a rim round the hole to glue to Skoda badge to. I used Evo-Stick "Serious Glue" for that job - in the back view you can see where I splodged it on thickly to make sure that the cap was sealed. It's always a good idea to wipe the surfaces down first with a solvent degreaser eg meths (not white spirit which is an oil itself) to help get a good bond.

Total time to modify all four wheels caps was about an hour/hour and half. Plus setting time for the glue.

I haven't got the winter wheels on yet but when I do I'll post another pic to show what the modified wheel caps look like in use.

So nothing particularly fancy but I'm hoping it'll do the job, and look a bit better than the big VW logo.

Servicepoint, I live in Germany and my wifes car has had the same winter steelies for the last 5 years. I wash them down after they come off each spring, but other than that they just get washed through the carwash. They are still in good nick, so dont worry too much!

Sorry, my pokerwork isn't up to that kind of detail! Here's some quick pics taken tonight: front view back view

So nothing particularly fancy but I'm hoping it'll do the job, and look a bit better than the big VW logo.

That's a pretty neat job; well done. :thumbup:

PS> Love the pics of the Red Arrows B):thumbup:

I bought some 58mm Skoda alloy wheel centre caps (like these ones) off eBay. I removed the tabs on the back which are supposed to hold them in place on the alloys - they came off very easily by bending and tearing them (carefully!) with a set of pliers, then I tidied up the rough stubs with a Stanley knife.

The Caddy centre caps are quite domed in the middle, so I cut most of the big VW logo away with a fret saw, drilling a 6mm hole first to get the saw blade in position to start the cut. I did make sure to leave a bit of a rim round the hole to glue to Skoda badge to. I used Evo-Stick "Serious Glue" for that job - in the back view you can see where I splodged it on thickly to make sure that the cap was sealed. It's always a good idea to wipe the surfaces down first with a solvent degreaser eg meths (not white spirit which is an oil itself) to help get a good bond.

Total time to modify all four wheels caps was about an hour/hour and half. Plus setting time for the glue.

I haven't got the winter wheels on yet but when I do I'll post another pic to show what the modified wheel caps look like in use.

VERY, VERY neat!!!!! Mine are soft and l was going to follow Rockhopper's lead and just Evo Stick them over the VW dome... But I like this much more as there won't be any folds. Though you did not see Rockhopper's folds just felt them if your fingers went there. Which they normally won't.

VERY, VERY neat!!!!! Mine are soft and l was going to follow Rockhopper's lead and just Evo Stick them over the VW dome... But I like this much more as there won't be any folds. Though you did not see Rockhopper's folds just felt them if your fingers went there. Which they normally won't.

Here is mine:

6216949098_8ae64e485f_b.jpg

P1060126 by MikesYeti, on Flickr

They are the T5 hub caps. I found they stayed on last winter, with only a broken one falling off. I kept the plastic wheel nut covers on. I now have TS810's for the front and TS830's for the rear, as the TS810's are no longer manufactured and the TS830's are the replacements. (newer grippier tyres on the rear)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a chance of a set Vredstein Snowtac 215 60 16 at a fairly reasonable price however they are 92 H, now I realise the speed rating is ok but is the load rating acceptable for a Yeti.

and if so anybody know where I can get a set of steel rims to suit.;)

I have a chance of a set Vredstein Snowtac 215 60 16 at a fairly reasonable price however they are 92 H, now I realise the speed rating is ok but is the load rating acceptable for a Yeti.

and if so anybody know where I can get a set of steel rims to suit.;)

Load index of 92 would seem to be OK.

If you have a read of this;- http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/148948-yeti-tyre-and-rim-guide/ you will see that OE fit of 215/60 16s are 95 index and 225/50 17s are 94 index but the 215/60 16s fitted to the Greenline are only 91H (possibly allowed due to lower weight).

With a slightly lower load index tyre than is perfect you can always compensated by inflating to a higher pressure, say + 0.2/0.3bar (in addition to the + 0.2bar for being winter tyres).

bahnstormer vrs, thanks,

looking at the guide I'm not sure I would get away with 92s, well when I say get away with I know they would be ok but they are not recommended. Now in two minds whether to go for the tyres now, really good deal too as they are excellent tyres.