Excessive Oil Consumption VRS 180

lane

I've got a 9 month old VRS180 with approx 7500 miles on the clock that seems to drink oil. Dealer has 3 others with similar problems but no solution. Customer services not even bothered to reply to telephone messages or e-mails. Any ideas ?

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised skoda aren't replacing the piston rings/scrapers like vw are doing my gti is booked in for this :(

At last Skoda reacted, had oil consumption test over 350 kms and it was using .7ltr over 1000 kms. Now having new pistons and rings and hop[e to have car back tomorrow after 12 days.

You had more luck than I did no one interested, so got shot of the vrs very sad, loved the car but 1L evey 500 miles not good

Mine former vRS used to drink at about that rate, decided to swap it for another 1.4 but a TDi instead, no where near as sporty, but cheaper all round and that's what I needed! :rofl:

• 5 months later...

I've got a 9 month old VRS180 with approx 7500 miles on the clock that seems to drink oil. Dealer has 3 others with similar problems but no solution. Customer services not even bothered to reply to telephone messages or e-mails. Any ideas ?

Update, new rings did not work and now using as much as ever. Skoda tech promised a fix by mid May as they were waiting on factory for suggestions. With only 5 days to go till mid May I am not holding my breath. Now formally rejecting the car from its supply date as the fault must have been there since new and they only acknowledged it at 9000 miles when they were allowed to runn the tests by the factory. Shame as its a cracking car it most other respects.

As i already posted in the other threads, my 2010 vRS was using too much oil really up to 45000 - 7000 miles, then used almost none, now over 8000 miles and none needed.

But then the Dealer was over filling the oil.

Not dipping it at 85 degrees celcius or even near that.

So really just going by how much they thought on the dipstick with just warmed oil.

Skoda UK customer services replied to my complaint about the OHB bad translation into English & the difference with the VW Polo GTi hand books instruction for checking the oil level.

I am pretty sure my car had been returned to the dealership by the first owner that bought the Demonstrator, because of the high oil usage & poor fuel economy.

It might even have had work done, and i am not bothered if it has.

It took me one week from buying it, of running it easy -sh to have the car much smoother,

gearbox and engine.

Now it is so smooth and getting more rapid as the miles go on it.

over 8000 miles done now, 5w 30 Castrol Edge from Asda's & Tesco 99 RON, no oil use now doing 43 MPG even at 70 on the motorway and well over 50 mpg on single carraigeways, even with a little boot now and again.

george

Edited by sk4gw

• 2 months later...

Update, new rings did not work and now using as much as ever. Skoda tech promised a fix by mid May as they were waiting on factory for suggestions. With only 5 days to go till mid May I am not holding my breath. Now formally rejecting the car from its supply date as the fault must have been there since new and they only acknowledged it at 9000 miles when they were allowed to runn the tests by the factory. Shame as its a cracking car it most other respects.

Latest update. Car in dealer 28th May for testing again and 5 weeks later emerged with a new short engine! Completed approx 500 miles on .5 ltr of oil so keeping a check on it. Had a new Audi A4 TDI multronic as loan car for the entire period so not inconvienianced too much.

new engine is what is needed. When i had my fabia vrs, it had a new engine at 1300miles and it solved the high oil consumption issue, seems that dealers are trying to get out of replacing engines or maybe its skoda but i refused to let them just change the piston and rings on a brand new engine so they replaced it, but after all that issue i now have a octavia vrs cause that was the only solution for what was an absolute disgrace of a car.

Think I'll stay clear of this forum for a while - all this bad news is depressing me :( . :rain::rain::rain:

Only problem - touch wood - I've had is the corroding Dark Chrome alloys - and to be fair two of the alloys had rim damage (plus I'd been using a hand car wash which probably used sulphuric acid as a cleaner). Anyway, Dark Chrome didn't suit the red anyway - Gigaros now plain silver and the car looks much cleaner for it.

Pleased you are pleased.

Please share then.

Sprayed or Powder Coated,

Mates Rates or just a good deal?

Pictures ?? or just say GTF nosey barsteward, i am easy!

george

Shot blasted, powder coated, and then painted. There are cheaper places but they did a cracking job on my MKI vRS alloys (I think there may be a common theme here :giggle: ) - plus they have a good rep.

Will take some snaps and put up some before / after pictures - when it stops :rain: in Weegieville that is.

Cheers

Has anyone noticed any difference in oil consumption when using different viscosities or even brands of oil ?.

Mine used around a litre in the first 1000 miles from new. I topped up with Castrol Edge 5W-30 and continued to do so until, at about 4500 miles, I decided to change the oil and filter myself, and used Edge 5W-40. Oil consumption seemed to improve immediately and it used about 1.25L of Edge 5W-40 at a constant rate up to the 10K service. Now 1200 miles after the service, it hardly seems to have used any at all, despite some those miles being fairly hard driven. From experience,I am sure it would have used more pre-service than this. The dealer used Quantum 5W-40 for the service. As far as I know, no updates or modifications were carried out at the service - so the only difference appears to be the brand of oil.

Of course this could all be coincidental as the engine gets more miles under it's belt and beds in more, but I check the oil at least once a week and it does appear that Quantum 5W-40 is the way to go.

Any thoughts ??.

I keep putting 1 litre of oil every month now would this be seen as excessive use? Or would I be wasting my time taking it back to the dealers.

I keep putting 1 litre of oil every month now would this be seen as excessive use? Or would I be wasting my time taking it back to the dealers.

Depends, 1 litre a month and doing say 500 miles would be excessive. However if doing 2000 miles VAG would say that is fine. VAG state that up to 500 ml per 600 miles is within tolerance.

so ultimately it is not time related but distance related. Hope that helps.

We do about 1000 a month so I'm presuming my case is kinda bordaline but thanks for the info

I suggest you keep a log of how much you are putting in and the mileage each time. that way you can see if it is improving or getting worse and have something to take to your dealer if you need to. I would say you are just over tolerance and VAG may do something about this.

Mine on official VAG test is apparently just in tollerance at 482 mls per 600 miles. However this was calculated over an interval of 350 miles. I am now keeping a log and will be giving it to the dealer at the next service.