Heated Seats - A Burning Issue!

tweenster

2011 Skoda Fabia VRS with heated seats.

Last week Mrs T was driving when she noticed the smell of burning. When she arrived at work a colleague noticed that her coat was burned and when we inspected the seat it had burned through at roughly shoulder blade height. The car was already booked in to the garage today for a service and the dealer was really helpful. We had emailed them this problem earlier in the week and they had already been in contact with Skoda UK; we had to fill in a couple of forms to report the fault and a fire issue and these will be submitted to Skoda UK; we should hear back in the next few days. Not overly fussed as the car has a full Skoda warranty so it shouldn't cost us anything. I've also asked for compensation for the burned coat so we will see how that pans out.

Shortly after we bought the car in 2014 it was subject to a recall to have the heated seat bases replaced. As a result of this incident the drivers' seat back will probably need a minimum of heating element, foam and material and I have asked for both seat back elements to be replaced to provide a level of confidence.

• Like 2

It should have been a proper DVSA (VOSA) safety recall as there are cars that still have not had the Service Campaign work done to replace the heated seat elements and the switch, as it never was even a proper Service Recall Campaign.

http://www.gov.uk/check-if-a-vehicle-has-been-recalled

Now it might have to be a proper DVSA Safety Critical Recall with REgistered Keepers contacted formally if those that had Warranty Replacements are failing again.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

I'm told the recall was only for the seat bases because they stopped working, rather than causing a safety issue. It was the seat back element that failed this time with a very real risk of catching fire (IMHO) although if you continued to be sat in the seat as it reached combustion temperature you are probably lacking in a number of basic self preservation skills anyway!.

Edited by tweenster

• 2 weeks later...

Car booked in for technical analysis on 12 Dec. They will strip it down, take photos and send them to Skoda UK for analysis and direction. The garage have already ordered a new seat cover as this is definitely required. I'm not overly fussed what they decide; the car has a full Skoda warranty so Skoda will pay one way or the other.

• Like 1

Any update?

EDIT.

Doh i see the car is not going in until next week, sorry i forgot Skoda make safety and 'technical analysis' as a low priority, 

never need to send out Technical Guys from Skoda UK when 'manana' will suffice.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a phone call on Friday; Skoda have agreed to pay the full cost of the repair. I'm not sure what the issue is (I will ask that when I collect the car) but it will have to include, as a minimum, a new heated seat element and seat covering! Skoda have also asked for an estimated value of the coat that was damaged as they seem keen to pay some compensation for that as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Picked the car up today, a little over 6 weeks after we dropped it off. It seems Skoda agreed to pay for the repair within a few days and whilst the seat fabric and heating element were easily sourced it seems the seat foam proved difficult to track down! They did give us a courtesy car for the whole period so we mustn't grumble.

Skoda have also agreed to pay for the cost of a replacement coat for Mrs T, up to the value of £200.

It may have taken a while but we are happy with the outcome.

• Like 4

Excellent news then!

aslong as your pleased then that's final.

6 weeks is a long time but I guess they have to do things by the book and if that's how long it takes... that's how long it takes!

i would have went to a scrap yard and got another seat and just took the foam out and had it fixed the same day :D

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 21:56, hutchysrs50 said:

Excellent news then!

aslong as your pleased then that's final.

6 weeks is a long time but I guess they have to do things by the book and if that's how long it takes... that's how long it takes!

i would have went to a scrap yard and got another seat and just took the foam out and had it fixed the same day :D

Sorry for my very tardy response - it wasn't just the foam; it had burned right through the seat material as well. The delay was getting the matching material (apparently!).

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 08:53, Awayoffski said:

Yes, I saw that thread. Most interesting as ours has just developed the exact same fault. Have reported it to the dealer to make a note but will get it sorted at the next planned visit. It is summer now after all! :-)