Engine oil

When I enter my reg for engine oil i come up with several options for my fabia vrs mk2 I have tried several I put it in Castrols oil finder at it came up with 0-30 edge I've gone with it although previously been using 5w 30 i looked up an article saying 0-30 Is the best although German manafucter always recommend 5w-40 any thoughts ??

2 minutes ago, KENDRICK81 said:

When I enter my reg for engine oil i come up with several options for my fabia vrs mk2 I have tried several I put it in Castrols oil finder at it came up with 0-30 edge I've gone with it although previously been using 5w 30 i looked up an article saying 0-30 Is the best although German manafucter always recommend 5w-40 any thoughts ??

Unless you live in a very cold climate then 0W is probably not necessary.

3 minutes ago, KENDRICK81 said:

Thanks for replying will it have an effect on my car ?? And should I go back to using 5w 30 

I'd not worry about it, as long as you are using oil that is up to the specified standard you're likely not to have any problems.

• Thanks 1

Welcome.

EDIT.

Sorry, missed the vRS so a twincharger,  best go 5w 40 Full Synthetic VW502 00.

Give VW 504 00 Long Life 0-30 FS or 5w 30 FS a miss, long life oil, short life 1.4 TSI 132-136kw engines.

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LightRain said:

I'd not worry about it, as long as you are using oil that is up to the specified standard you're likely not to have any problems.

Many thanks Castrol recommended it so find it strange and it's started popping up on Halfords and Euro parts

9 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Welcome.

EDIT.

Give VW 504 00 Long Life 0-30 FS or 5w 30 FS a miss, long life oil, short life 1.4 TSI 132-136kw engines.

Thanks hope it doesn't affect my car I've been recommended 5w 40 petronas full synthetic before will probably go with that next time thank you

Castrol Edge 5w 30 FS LL is so so oil,  nothing special just VW recommended, but really has lots to do with the premature death of Euro 5 

1.2,1.4,1.8 & 2.0 TSI's that get variable servicing, maybe even that will be the same with the 1.0TSI's

As long as the 5w 40 FS is to VW 502 00 you are sorted.

?

What age vRS have you and how many miles done?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Castrol Edge 5w 30 FS LL is so so oil,  nothing special just VW recommended, but really has lots to do with the premature death of Euro 5 

1.2,1.4,1.8 & 2.0 TSI's that get variable servicing, maybe even that will be the same with the 1.0TSI's

As long as the 5w 40 FS is to VW 502 00 you are sorted.

?

What age vRS have you and how many miles done?

It's a 61 plate and it's done 60.000 miles 

• Like 1

I think that these 0W-30 are becoming common place, ie  popping  up all around us, but I'll be avoiding them are now, their introduction will be due to trying to improve economy, though maybe at the expense of engine life - different goals!

My Audi garage used that once on a service on my 2011 S4 and did not seem to sound any different, take less time to warm up, or improve MPG, so who knows, obviously main dealers workshops have started stocking it for newer cars. I was not excited about noticing that written on the bill, but it was my last service within extended warrant so I just lived with it.

• 3 years later...
On 27/10/2017 at 22:29, e-Roottoot said:

Welcome.

EDIT.

Why are they still servicing it with 5w30 ll full synthetic??  I had my oil done few months back. 

They will be using long life oil because that is what they have and use be it Fixed or Variable servicing. 

Also they are using Long Life oil even for Fixed Servicing because you are letting them and not insisting that you want to use VW502 00 so 5w 40 FS

If they will not use what you want then do your own oil and filter changes or go someplace that will use what you want or what you supply.

1519881723_59fc1f3e14a29_SkodaFabiaengineoilcapacities.webp

I will do it myself , I did ask them but they didn’t want to do it.and I got a full service just because I bought the car and wanted it looked at properly. Im no petrol head. 
so I thought I wait six moths then change the oil? Or should I do it now ? Been 2-3 months. 

Is there a invoice / receipt showing the oil used at the Service.

If VW 504 00 / 507 00 so 5w 30 FS III then that is fine.   No need to change the oil.

If you do want to change the oil then a suction pump is handy to take the oil out of the dip stick tube or just drain the oil in the normal way.

Oil filler cap off, oil out, oil filter changed, making sure the oil seal is removed, centre and outer, lube new ones etc etc. 

Correct quantity of chosen oil used, and taken up to temp and checked then checked again when cold.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2017 at 22:29, e-Roottoot said:

Welcome.

EDIT.

Long Life oil is perfectly fine, as long as you don't stick to long life servicing. 

• Haha 1

Actually Long Life oil is perfectly fine in the main.

1.4 TSI / TFSI Twinchargers with the possible Bore Wash issue, and Long life oil & Super Unleaded petrols has been an issue. 

Then fundamental design, manufacturing and material failings, and a low oil capacity.

Too many detergents / additives.

Crap Castrol 5w 30 FS III or Quantum as recommended by VW Group / Skoda and greater then 20% of engine failures of the 3,000 Fabia vRS in the UK,

and similar with Audi, VW & SEAT means using VW502 00 is simply clever. 

This for GTI's / R's applies to vRS's also.   

Fuel filler flap 98 (95) on the Twinchargers.

https://volkswagen.co.uk/en/need-help/need-help-faqs/fuel.html

Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 08.35.51.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

@jonnieboi82

That was very wrong.

I would do an Oil & Filter change.   

I would have whoever did the service and used that do it for free or refund you to have the oil changed.

That was VW508 00 / 509 00 that will have been used.  0w 20 FS IV

For the engines for the WLTP coming. 

The 1.0 TSI 3 cylinder with a gpf & from 2018.

This says 2015 but they were not using it then and it is not backward compatible.

image.webp.b48e6771853b15b770e956a10ec5660b.webp.2721e5e275bfd9c6b35e39bef234c58e.webp.d44991ab9f4e6ebc308b0e8ac392191c.webp

Screenshot_20180414-061447.webp

Edited by toot

@toot,

This was done by Marshall Skoda back in April after I bought the car privately (figured it made sense to do a service and check at the time), after the engine oil light appearing and ringing them to check what oil they used at the time of servicing, they were adamant they used 0W20...

Called another dealership (Group1 Skoda) they say my car would typically use 0W30 so a bit lost?

Which engine oil grade is best for car?

have booked in a diagnostic check on oil consumption with the Group1 Skoda 

You need the right oil.  As to the consumption test, plenty threads here on that, and the fiasco,s.

The recommended grade from day 1 of Fabia Mk2 is VW504 00 / 507 00 which is 5w 30 FS III  (long life oil.)

That can be 0w 30 FS III if you wanted.

My recommendation which is the Fixed service oil is VW 502 00,  5w 40 FS oil,  For less chance of Twincharger oil issues. 

There is only an official Oil Consumption test which is hopeless.

New oil & Filter, Dropped, weighed  & then driven 100 km & dropped and weighed.

There are even idiots that got the oil weight wrong and have it at 1,000 grams a litre and not 856 grams. 

MARSHALS SKODA made a mistake.  They need to sort that.

Do you have the car / engine history. Warranty history.

Is it the original engine, has it had an oil consumption test before, has itb had the Oil Spray jets replaced, etc etc.?

This is a CAVE not a CTHE, no matter,.   The thread of many pages is pinned up top.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/467547-cave-engine-sudden-increase-in-oil-consumption-but-has-perfect-compression

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/339194-oil-consuption-test-part-1

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/463296-excessive-oil-use-vrs-mk2

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jonnieboi82 said:

@toot,

This was done by Marshall Skoda back in April after I bought the car privately (figured it made sense to do a service and check at the time), after the engine oil light appearing and ringing them to check what oil they used at the time of servicing, they were adamant they used 0W20...

Called another dealership (Group1 Skoda) they say my car would typically use 0W30 so a bit lost?

Which engine oil grade is best for car?

have booked in a diagnostic check on oil consumption with the Group1 Skoda 

It should state what oil was used on the invoice, please check this. I'd be amazed if they used the wrong stuff because the computerised BOM would have automatically generated the correct parts and fluids list from the VIN and reg. number.

So I don't believe such an egregious error can have been made.

3 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

It should state what oil was used on the invoice, please check this. I'd be amazed if they used the wrong stuff because the computerised BOM would have automatically generated the correct parts and fluids list from the VIN and reg. number.

So I don't believe such an egregious error can have been made.

PXL_20230901_194205707.thumb.jpg.487c69ddd35844b7601c93bbd56fed7b.jpg

On the invoice is Castrol EDGE LL111 0, at the time I could not get any Google results and had called Skoda dealership (where the car was serviced) several times of which they kept on insisting 0W20 even after I told them motorshops where systems were stating otherwise 🤷

Anyway topped up 1L of this and had booked in a diagnostic check with them for end of this month, however based on comments here I have the car booked with the local mechanic to change the oil and filter tomorrow and have made a formal complaint to Skoda 

• Confused 1