2014 - first rust

eribaMotters

I gave the car a wash this weekend. Two months of muck cleaned off, wheel arches hosed out and 20 minutes spent getting tar spots off with white spirit, then I saw it.

Brown stain on bottom back corner of front passenger door. At first I thought I had nicked the corner, but all felt smooth. Looking closer the brown stain starts just above the door edge and appears to be coming through the paint. A photo from inside shows what looks like a break in the surface paint again up from the bottom of the door. It is booked in for assessment when back from hols in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully I've caught this early as photos only just show the problem.

Colin

outside.jpg

inside.jpg

Hi eribaMotters,

The image could have been taken from my 2015 Elegance. I had exactly the same rust on both front doors. It looked to me like the paint was thin ? However I gently cleaned up the area and applied the touch up and all has been well, I always check every time I wash the car.

M

No war required.   Go by the Warranty T&C's.  

Report to a Main Dealers ASAP.

Have them note the issue, have a Qualified person inspect and report and submit to Skoda (Skoda UK), 

They can arrange an Inspection & Report by their favoured Examiners / Inspectors and the report on the actions they believe require carrying out to have the vehicle to the Factory Standard, 

Factory Standard with proper preparation and finish and quality control,  not the corrosion breaking out Factory Finish.

New panels is an acceptable resolution, and paint to Factory Spec.   Not rust speckled.

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 15:15, AwaoffSki said:

No war required.   Go by the Warranty T&C's.  

Report to a Main Dealers ASAP.

Have them note the issue, have a Qualified person inspect and report and submit to Skoda (Skoda UK), 

They can arrange an Inspection & Report by their favoured Examiners / Inspectors and the report on the actions they believe require carrying out to have the vehicle to the Factory Standard, 

Factory Standard with proper preparation and finish and quality control,  not the corrosion breaking out Factory Finish.

New panels is an acceptable resolution, and paint to Factory Spec.   Not rust speckled.

It is war because what you describe above is what SHOULD happen, but I and plenty of others have found that many dealers get their "qualified" person to inspect it and say there's nothing wrong.

You demand they submit to Skoda UK and they refuse.

That seems to be the defacto response in many of the dealerships.

I had to have a stand up row with the warranty manager on the forecourt in front of their customers to get him to change his mind and agree to submit to Skoda UK.

Fast Forward 3 weeks and I had approval for 4x new doors on my Yeti - and an apology from the Warranty manager who admitted to me he'd sent away many others with the same fault citing there was "no way" it was going to be covered under warranty.

• Like 1

What happens when you go un-prepared with the knowledge of the issue and your rights.

Too common that the Dealership Employees are the keeper of the purse. 

There are phones in the dealerships and computers and the Responsible Person if not available like the Warranty Manager with the actual experience and knowledge can be contacted 

or the Dealer Principal can because they know the correct procedures. 

So good that you have had a good result, many others do as well.

Skoda UK Customer Services Call Handlers can get a Handler for you & a Communications Manager and a Qualified Person to do the Inspections 

then call in the VW Groups favourite Inspectors. 

So really if some upity employee in a Dealership thinks they are judge and jury you get their boss and then ask them to call the Warranty Provider, 

or go into the Dealership with the number on your phone.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

So this Warranty Manager seems to be lacking in some training or qualifications to be a Warranty Manager, 

seems more like Mis-managing.

No matter which country that the VW Group / Skoda Warranty is in the T&C's say report as soon as possible to an approved Dealer.

That is for them to then report on to the Warranty Provider, not to just be an ar53.

25039_SKODA_Approved_used_warranty_doc_v11.pdf

25039_SKODA_Approved_used_warranty_doc_v11.pdf

Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

Edited by AwaoffSki

• 4 weeks later...

Well it went into Alex Lawrie Skoda Liverpool on March 22nd and I've heard nothing. [3 weeks] So I gave them a call today and guess what, they knew nothing, nothing was recorded on the system. Then they found the person who had dealt with me and I was told they would liase with the body shop in Southport as report on paint thicknesses needed etc and would phone me back. You've guessed it no phone back so I called them to be told it needed to go into the paint shop for ..... I stopped them and told them I had been told all this on 22nd March. I was then told they [Alex Lawrie] would call on Monday to inform me when to go to the body shop. No use I said, how do you know when I am available. I did suggest it would be better if they called them, gave them all of the details and awaited a call from me to arrange a time. They could not really understand this.

Is it me, am I thick or just intolerant. Has anybody dealt with this dealership and put my mind at rest? Polite answers please.

Colin

Be careful that you aren't going to end up with some kind of bill to pay. Make sure before any work is carried out that you get a signed agreement to that effect.

It is supposed to be going in for an appraisal, to see if anything is amiss, and if so if it is covered by Skoda warranty. Just seems to me 3+ weeks is a long time to await for an appraisal to be arranged.

Whatever the outcome you can guess where I will not be going for my 4th year service.

Colin

About 30 years ago I rejected a transporter full of VW Polo's due to poor paint (all Florida Blue - never forget it). It was so bad it was visible on the forecourt - there was a terrible stramash but we stuck to our guns and wouldn't accept them. At the time the paint issues were bad (Spanish plant). They were not alone in having paint issues but they relied on the dealers rectifying them before sale (we just couldn't cope with the volume of rework required - hence our stance).

On the subject of the Dealer Principal knowing the correct procedure an awful lot must have changed since my days (probably has) but back then (and I suspect still today) they were entirely Sales orientated but however, could read a balance sheet. So they knew if Aftersales (including Body & Paint) were performing to acceptable levels using Key Performance Indicators but sure as heck didn't know HOW they were achieved. As to the Warranty I suspect that would have needed a 'phone call to the Manufacturer for guidance (if the issue ever reached them).

To be fair VAG wanted to pay what was needed for paint and anyone having attended training at Milton Keynes always came back with the Knowledge to claim more for paint rectification than they had believed prior to attending (with VAG's blessing).

When it came to chipping (paint adhesion) a VAG rep. would conduct the test consisting of removing a badge from the tailgate to fire a controlled dose of calibrated grit on the paint. The results were then compared on a chart to determine level of paint adhesion. The affected area was then touched up and the badge refitted. Seems barbaric but I wonder if they now have an improved methodology. (note: paint thickness gauge was a salesman's best friend then!). I am sure some of our more learned friends on the Forum will have knowledge of current practice.

Bill :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update.

I contacted the dealer on 4th June, as below:-

"James,
have you received the photos I sent you on 29th May?, as you requested by yourself following my phone call to the dealership.

I came in on 22th March having made an appointment. After being kept waiting for 1/4 hr you looked at the car and I gave you copies of the photographs. I was informed that Claridges would be contacted who I would need to take the car to and you would get back to me.
After a couple of weeks I contacted your dealership as I had heard nothing. No record could be found on your system of my car and this matter.
Claridges looked at the car on 18th April, who I also gave the photos to, and they informed me they would contact you in order that a report could be sent to Skoda.
After hearing nothing I again made contact on May 15th to be told Skoda could not see sufficient detail in the photos [not mine] to warrant any work.You appear to have misplaced the photos so I sent them again.

So we are know 10 weeks in on this issue, I have been chasing you as you have failed to make contact with me.
Can I please have an update on the situation as this is dragging on and does not really instill confidence in the dealership.

To give you an indication of my concerns in how you value my custom I have in the interim period taken my vehicle for it's yearly service and MOT to an
independent garage"

==================================================================================================================================

I think it worked as I have had this reply:-

"Apologies for the delay

Your paint claim was authorised by Skoda yesterday 13/6/18.  Today, 14/6/18, I have sent authorised amounts to Claridges for their acceptance and requested confirmation of an available booking date and I am awaiting their response.

I have been made aware that a booking date may not be until wk. commencing 2/7/18 though due to their current workload.

I will contact you in due course with updates regarding this matter.

Should you have any questions regarding this matter please contact myself, Kris Swinburne, through email."

===================================================================================================================================

This could now prove interesting as I'm having problems seeing any rust evidence on the car.

Colin

Got rust marks on bottom of the doors on my 63 plate yeti , dealers ( not Skoda Dealers ) messed up the inspection records not filled in properley, main dealer won't submit a claim because they recon it will be rejected , get in touch with Customer services, they ar looking into mine, and are more helpfull and informed than the guy's on the reception desk's 

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 19:48, stevewise said:

Got rust marks on bottom of the doors on my 63 plate yeti , dealers ( not Skoda Dealers ) messed up the inspection records not filled in properley, main dealer won't submit a claim because they recon it will be rejected , get in touch with Customer services, they ar looking into mine, and are more helpfull and informed than the guy's on the reception desk's 

Mine never had the bodywork inspections filled in either.

Yet they still approved the claim - so don't despair.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update,

car went in to Liverpool Skoda last Friday for work by Claridges of Southport. I collected it today and it looks nice. Receipt says:-

"...attend to Zinc erosion ... work carried out under corrosion warranty..."

Car looks immaculate, which is a bonus as I'd recently returned from a 1500 mile trip to France and it was a bit dirty to say the least.

Colin

• Like 2

Car going in for inspection on Tuesday in Morecambe , Dealer taking it to VW Body shop, all aranged by Customer services, so far so good but lost track of the customer service reps that have been on the case !, but rust bubles have started on door sill just by  plastic Adventure plate, the downside is shmbw has decided its  a shopping trip aswell. lol

Car went to Dealer Monday , paint report being sent to Customer Services, dealer says " don' get your hopes up as they have never had a claim accepted " & " rust on dood's is due to the water channels in the door holding water " the dealer also said that they are having to pay for the body repairs on some cars as even they messed up the body inspection records, will wait for Customer Services to get in contact, PS white walking around the dealers car park 4 of the Yeti's had rust marke's in the same place as mine

Maybe that Dealership has never had a Warranty Claim accepted because of the VW Approved Body Shop report.

The Company that Skoda used to use should maybe be doing the Report on the vehicles condition.

You might have to commission a Professional Inspection and when it supports your claim Skoda UK the Warranty Provider can pay the Inspection costs.

They / Skoda UK & the Dealership are at it.    They know full well the causes and those being an issue at the Skoda Factory.

Do you have the copy of the report the Dealership Received from the VW Approved Body shop?

Edited by Offski

2 hours ago, stevewise said:

PS white walking around the dealers car park 4 of the Yeti's had rust marke's in the same place as mine

Worth taking some pics of the other 4 yeti’s rust marks as evidence .