Panoramic Roof Crack

Hey there,

Today a few cracks appeared in the panoramic roof of my skoda fabia... it seems something smashed a part of the roof from which the 2 major cracks come from (see attached photos, the cracks go the where my fingers are placed). It seems that the damage is in the external glass layer as you cant feel anything inside the car. Its a 172 car, as far as I'm aware it has a 3 year guarantee and we are still covere under warranty. I'm just wondering if it's likely that skoda will cover this damage and replace the roof? Or will I have to go through my insurance company, this only just happened so I need to look into my insurance to see if the roof is covered in glass damage. 

Any advice much appreciated 

20200807_174255.jpg

20200807_204230.jpg

Doubt Škoda would cover on warranty as they will claim external factors have made it crack (same old story when you take rusting cars into dealer or stone chips etc)

id be contacting your insurance company and getting details of their glass policy. I know on mine it is just £75 excess for replacement glass. Think of the pano roof as having another windscreen on the roof. 

• Sponsor

Hi.

With regards to replacing the roof on your insurance you would need to check as to whether it's covered under the glass section of you policy as not all insurers cover a panoramic roof under their glass section. it might need to be claimed as an accidental damage claim.

Regards,

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

It was my wife's Fabia that had the crack in one of the posts above. Four years later and all is good still. However ours had zero outside damage, the crack didn't reach the external layer of glass. The one pictured looks like its been crushed from the outside. 

Fingers crossed for a glass cover replacement, the prognosis to replace ours at cost wasn't good.