1.5tsi dsg remapping risks?

andyste1

Having driven diesels for many years (my last car was a 2014 Octavia 2.0 dsg) I made the switch to petrol last August and treated myself to a 2019 Karoq Sportline 1.5tsi dsg. It's a really nice car to drive, and on paper the 0-60 is the same as my Octy, but I've been disappointed when needing to accelerate from anything other than standstill, eg overtaking. I guess this is where a diesel's torque really shines - the Octy would take off with relatively little throttle, even at 70+. The Karoq on the other hand can sometimes dither for what feels like 2-3 seconds as it drops down through the gears before it finally starts to take off. It can be a bit unnerving, but I've been changing my driving style such as anticipating any moves and changing into sports mode first. 

Anyway onto my question. Has anyone remapped their 1.5tsi? I recall reading a post elsewhere saying that the problem is that the dsg paired with this engine doesn't have much headroom for extra torque, so there's a real risk of damage. Is that correct? If so, how much extra torque could it safely take? 

• Like 1

Do you have the flappy paddles?  I don't like that slight delay when using the kickdown. I just drop a couple of gears with the left hand paddle and when the overtake is done hold the right hand paddle for a second to get it back to normal.  This is the only time I use the paddles.  

tom

• Like 1

The DQ200 dsg will take the extra torque of any remap you have on a 1.5 TSI.  But do you want a DQ200 not covered by a manufacturer's warranty.   More important might be do you want a 1.5 TSI without a Warranty covering it.   Best well the car while prices are good rather than modify what can be a flawed model / drivetrain.    The remap 1.5 TSI threads are in the Performance section.

• Thanks 1

Did you try the Sport mode? You may find it is preferable for you. You don't even need to faff and choose it in the "Driver mode" button menu's. You can simply blip the gear lever to put the box in S mode.  If I am in a situation where I think I might want a bit more "get up and go" I do this and then pop it back to D mode when things are calmer.

Yes, pulling the gear selector back to S for overtaking & also for quick getways from standstill is so very easy, you don't have to think about it.  It makes my 1.0 DSG quite responsive for overtaking, as the car otherwise does like to be in as high a gear as possible.  For me it creates just the right amount of extra involvement that makes driving a bit more enjoyable, without all that tiring footwork you have to do in manual cars.  Simply pulling the selector back again, having overtaken, puts it back into normal drive.  In 2.5 years I've not felt the need, nor bothered with the flappy paddles, or alternatively pushing the gear selector over to the left to select gears manually.