Low oil at 5000 miles

sargentbash

Hi,

I have a new Skoda Scala, purchased end May 2021, its now begining of March 2022, only done 5300 miles and I got a oil warning light this morning. Chgecking the oil its below the min on the dip stick.

I am concerned as with the other 2 Skoda's I have had , I have never had to myself top up the oil. This Scala has not even reached the service interval.

Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks

• Groan 1

It's a new engine, so the piston rings and cylinder bore are still bedding in.

Just top up with quality engine oil to the maximum mark.

Be careful not to go over the maximum mark...or at least not by more than a couple of millimetres.

You will probably go more than 5300 miles before you need to top up again.

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

My Skoda needed an oil top up before the first service at 9400 miles.

It is now over 60,000 and has not needed any oil since then.

Thanks, AG Falco

• Thanks 1

@sargentbashIs this the first time you have checked the oil since getting the car?

Have you ever checked the tyre pressures?

Using some oil and more so in the first thousands of miles / km is perfectly usual as is the need to check oil and not wait for warnings.

260164964_Screenshot2019-08-02at19_54_11.webp

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 2

Hi Roottoot,

Yeah, 1st time checking it casue I got the warning light.

I have owned 2 other Skoda's never brand new, never had to worry or check the oil before it went for a service.

Was just under the impression, it's a new car, it wiould not be "eating" through the oil so fast, like some older cars I have had in my lifetime.

But it makes sence that its a new engine and the piston rings and cylinder bore are still bedding in.

I have checked tyre pressure, but not recently. Car feels fine on the road, you can normally feel when the tyres need pumping up

Edited by sargentbash

@roottoot

There was 0 indication that the car was using an exessive amount of oil.

No oil leaks on the engine

No oil leaks on the drive way

No excess smoke from the exhaust.

So why would I even think at 5000 miles , O, I should check the oil levels in my brand new car? If new cars needs a top up of oil, like Carlston suggested this should be noted when purcshing the car from the dealerships.

I am perfectly aware that I need to keep car safe on public roads and I make every effort in order to ensure this.

As the Tyre pressure would also be effecting my MPG and my MPG is pretty good and stable, again no reason for me to be concered about the tyre pressure.

I will go and top up the oil and monitor it over the next 5000 miles and if it drops again, then there is a larger issue with the engine itself.

Thanks

• Confused 1
  • Groan 1

It is not using excessive oil it used some oil and you do not know if the level was at the correct level at hand over to you and only you know how the car is used.

The recommended oil by VW / Skoda for your engine if a 1.0 TSI is VW508 00 so 0w 20 FS IV.

Know where the oil level isw cold but the correct oil level should be checked at the normal operating temperature. ie at near 90*oC.

The tyre pressures affect you and others safety so i just wondered if you run them at the pressure you were given the car and trust they were not over or under inflated.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/498324-oil

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/497359-oil-consumption-15-tsi

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/468008-oil-burning-karoq

A recent thread but there are plenty others for engines in the last 2-3 years since 0w 20 FS IV has been used and for years before that.

Edited by roottoot
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Scary.

On every new to me vehicle whether new or second hand I check the oil level every week, if after a decent period no discernable loss shows and if the vehicle has a low oil level warning system like my Skodas have all had then I will leave it to do its job but every time the bonnet gets opened all the fluid levels get checked despite them all having low fluid warning systems, I also check those systems with VCDS and also manually where possible like removing the brake fluid reservoir cap.

I check all my tyre pressures religiously once a week and the treads visually more frequently, this has at the least saved me from having to replace repairable tyres (screws/nails in tread, bead leaks) and at worst from causing an accident.

The above was considered essential responsable behaviour when I started driving, I realise that times have changed but the dangers havn't, when I see insouciance expressed in that way I do find it scary.

I agree, the responsibility lies with the driver to take a pro-active approach towards any vehicle they operate - not just drive until some warning light flashes up.

Especially in relation to tyre pressures, modern radials may often be dangerously under-pressure before it is obvious - and the TPMS, if fitted, may not have even be correctly set.

I recently picked up a rental car and found the left rear was around 10 PSI!

Probably had been like that for some time as it didn't lose any pressure over the next 4 days. 

22 hours ago, sargentbash said:

So why would I even think at 5000 miles , O, I should check the oil levels in my brand new car? If new cars needs a top up of oil, like Carlston suggested this should be noted when purcshing the car from the dealerships.

It has in both my Skoda owners manual the following:-

''The oil level must be checked at regular intervals.''

22 hours ago, sargentbash said:

As the Tyre pressure would also be effecting my MPG and my MPG is pretty good and stable

What variations have you noted in MPG in the last 5000 miles.

With mine it went up in the first 5000 miles but then started going down due to winter.

Mine will vary by 20% during a full year.

Thanks, AG Falco

well we been in winter for the last 6 or so months. I have done a long trip up to Birmingham and back and I hot about 55 - 60 mpg avrage.

My trips to work get about 43 MPG.

When I do a trip from Bladock to Ware I hit at least 50 MPG.

If everything is similar and I am not hitting low 40's mid 30's on the same trips I do weekly, my tyre pressure is perfectly fine thank you very much.

Edited by sargentbash
  • Kiss 1

Check 

This is in the owners Manual

Depending on driving style and operating conditions, the engine consumes some oil, up to 0.5 l/1000 km. Consumption may be higher over the next 5000 km.

• Check the oil level at regular intervals.

• Like 2

You can normally feel when the crankshaft bearings melt and the piston rings seize.................................. 🤣

• Like 1

I've owned my 2021 Kamiq 1.0 95 since July 21. When it hit 5,000 miles I checked the oil and it was just above half way so I topped it up.

Previous to this we owned an Ibiza 1.2 TSI and that liked to drink oil so I had my guard up.

It's pretty common that small turbo charged engines like to use oil even through light use.

Edited by AJ89

On 26/03/2022 at 20:16, AJ89 said:

Previous to this we owned an Ibiza 1.2 TSI and that liked to drink oil so I had my guard up.

It's pretty common that small turbo charged engines like to use oil even through light use.

Is it ? - My son never has to top up his 2016 Octavia 1.2tsi  EA211 with oil. 

My older 2014 Superb 1.4tsi EA111 doesn't seem to consume much oil.  I once topped it up just before a cross continental run as the oil on the dipstick was marginally down. Not done it since. It's now done over 100k miles.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

@AJ89

Light use is exactly when they might use oil.

Short cold start journeys & oil often not getting up to an efficient operating temperature. 

But that is as with any engine however many cylinders or fuel type.

Then running the oil level low and having the oil working harder as a coolant and not checking or topping up for 5,000 miles or until the Warning Light or Message comes on is not that smart.  If the oil was low already at 1,000 miles on a new engine it was lower still at 2,000, 3,000 and 4,000 before getting to 5,000 miles and the warning.

Light use / low daily mileage / low annual miles is exactly why 'Fixed Oil & Filter service regimes' are recommended for that type of usage.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners-and-drivers/servicing/service-plans/service-schedules.html

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Is it ? - My son never has to top up his 2016 Octavia 1.2tsi  EA211 with oil. 

My older 2014 Superb 1.4tsi EA111 doesn't seem to consume much oil.  I once topped it up just before a cross continental run as the oil on the dipstick was marginally down. Not done it since. It's now done over 100k miles.

Is that the same 1.4 TSI that has the turbo and supercharger.

If so they are famous for using high amounts of oil. A friend had an Ibiza Cupra with that engine and it used to use half its oil every 2,000 miles through moderate use.

• Haha 1

@AJ89 Facts are better than Chinese Whispers and Internet myths. 

Many Twinchargers were not and are not oil users or excessive oil users.  They were certainly not designed to but a ridiculous 3.6 litre oil capacity is an issue and that the oil can be 1.3 litres low and no Low oil warning and maybe a low oil pressure warning coming on first is what saved many thankfully.

PEOPLE NOT CHECKING THE OIL LEVEL COLD AND THEN AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE WAS AN ISSUE.

First and foremost the Dealership Sales people driving the Demonstrators, Techs getting the car ready for sales, new or used, and those collecting and driving these cars that had Long Life Oil, Super Unleaded petrol so lots of 'Detergent' and suffered from bore wash due to components, software and poor design and manufacturing of components. Rings, scrapers, pistons, inlet manifold, cooler spray jets, and the consumables, spark plugs, coils, oil filters and the choice of Long Life oil and Long Life / Variable Servicing.

Your friends car was faulty.

Probably had the Breather Mod,and software update, then the Oil Spray Jet mod & another software update,

and eventually a replacement engine, or it should have got a replacement engine. IT WAS GUBBED !

(Even replacement engines failed, some cars have had 3 engines since being built.)

***The only Skoda with a 1.4 TSI 132 kW Twin Charger engine were Mk2 Fabia 2010-2014/15.***

They were famous for excessive oil use with faulty ones which was an issue because Dealership staff said things like you just did about the Ibiza as though that was just to be accepted.

They even said that 1 litre oil use in 1,000 km / 621 miles was acceptable when even the 0.5 litres in 621 miles was not.

So over a 1/4 of the 2009-2012 engines failed and then even 2012-2014 engines still failed in the Twinchargers in the Skoda, SEAT, VW & Audi.

Mostly the 180-185 ps ones but not only those, also in 160ps ones.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/358101-vrs-mk-ii-14-litre-twincharger-oil-consumption-issues

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/353149-fabia-mk2-vrs-14tsi-replacement-engines-replaced-how-many

Edited by roottoot

13 hours ago, AJ89 said:

Is that the same 1.4 TSI that has the turbo and supercharger.

If so they are famous for using high amounts of oil. A friend had an Ibiza Cupra with that engine and it used to use half its oil every 2,000 miles through moderate use.

The more powerful supercharged/turbo charged version of the 1.4  16v EA111 as fitted to some VAG cars including the petrol vrs Fabia was a disaster area. Known for piston, cam chain, plug failures etc.

Despite knowing this reputation I took a chance in 2015 with my turbo only EA111 1.4 Superb as a friend of mine had run a 2011 1.4 Octavia which had been (and still is) really good. The reality is it's now done 100k miles without drama. 

• Like 1