Forge Rear upper strut brace - who has one?

Because I need some pictures of how it mounts! As i'm almost there with a cheaper alternative made from a section of bar with captive nuts in the ends and the bolts passed through the rear seat mount! :)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That reminds me. I have the very first prototype rear brace in my dads shed. Was designed by Carjacked Mike on here back in 2004.. I beleive he then sold the design on.

That reminds me. I have the very first prototype rear brace in my dads shed. Was designed by Carjacked Mike on here back in 2004.. I beleive he then sold the design on.

Cor blimey , I can remember that

I was involved with that at the last before Awesome company I worked in

I must admit , there was quite a few people who had good reports about that one

Oh wow , where have the years gone too LOL

I will have see if I can do some digging now

Sarah

Oh wow , where have the years gone too LOL

Tell me about it. Completley forgot about it untill a few months back when I stumbled across it. Infact I wonder if I sill have my old Eibach TDI springs from the days before eibach design some for the vRS.

Just dug out the first thread http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/14434-update-on-the-rear-removable-strut-brace-for-faby-vrs/

Then your old old place Sarah http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/36413-furby-rear-bracethe-facts-by-carjacked-mike/

That does not include the GB

Wow , that turned in to a real slanging match

Think it was RobDon as he was upset that his car was used for the pics , and he wanted some money for it or something IIRC

I can rememeber Josh had it on his Fabia for a test , he had it on for a couple of weeks for tests

Then he said take it off as he is not sure , then he asked for it back on , as it did not handle as good as when he had it on......

Oh the good times :D they was so much fun

That was the first time I had dealings with a certain `Shifty`

Oh wow , that thread if you can find it was greeeeeeeeeeeat LOL

Sarah

All measured up - just got welding of the captive nuts and the bolts to source - the bar will be solid steel and will be left bare metal so people can do with it as they like (i'm going to get mine powder coated met grey so it blends in with the carpet!) Crush washers and bolts will be included if anyone wants one - probably looking at £55 or so??

Out of interest what's the point of a rear strut brace in the fabia. I understand the front upper as it's to try and keep the geometry constant when under load. Buy how does the rear work? How does rear body flex effect the geometry?

Right so here we go! Time for some info and some pics.

Hollow steel bar section with welded end caps - drilled and tapped. 2x 25mm M8 bolts and 2 spring washers. Left bare for testing purposes - will wrap mine in carbon vinyl once its tested. Fitting took about 40 minutes due to how fiddly the fitting is. would probably be able to fit the next one in under 10 minutes - 13mm socket with small externder and a small craft or stanley knife required to cut the side carpets!

Doing it 2nd time round I would suggest finding the mounting holes on each side and using the craft knife to cut a cross and a slash to the outer edge before trying to fit the bar - makes the fit better once the bar is in place!

Fit the bolt into each end with the spring washer between the mount and the bar.

Handling does seem a little more positive with rear end feedback, tried a little lift-off oversteer on a few wet roundabout, nothing happened!! There is a few corners near me that if you go over the brow of the hill it turns swift right then left always upsets the Fabia on the brows drop point. even with 5mph more than normal and in the wet the rear end felt much more stable.

Parked on my parents driveway which always twists cars as they go up it - the shell definately flexes less.

Once I got home I've check the mountint points - you can just see little marks in the paint on the mounts where you can see that the bar obviously does move slightly under cornering force - this surprised me as I just though it would sit there and not move!!

here is what you are waiting for:-

Pictures2005.jpg

Pictures2006.jpg

Pictures2007.jpg

Pictures2008.jpg

Pictures2009.jpg

Pictures2010.jpg

Pictures2011.jpg

Pictures2012.jpg

If you want one put your name on the list - along with Fabia's the same mount points are visable in Seat ibiza's and Polo 9n's upwards

price to be finalised depending on steel costs and time taken to make them! looking at £55 delivered - compared to Forge's offering