Anyone with a mk2 or 3 fabia check the boot by the lights for the playe and the button for the boot, I have found some on my 2016 fabia, some has been found on a 2015 fabia and some on a 2012, both are work colleagues of mine. Make sure to check it (or any of vw cars on the same platform for that matter) and mk3 owners (not sure about the mk 2) take advantage of the 12 year corrosion warranty, call them and tell them. They are doing mine because I'm a key worker but they will do it after lockdown is finished for non key workers.

20200417_103227.jpg

• Like 3

mine is 2016 reg, bought it private sale a month ago and yes got the same corrosion!  thanks for pointing this out friend. I am hoping corrosion warranty is transferable ? I will ring Skoda dealer next week and hopefully get it booked in for after the lockdown then. 

I'd be interested to know how water is getting there in the first place to cause this much rust.

• Like 1

It is the common location for the corrosion with the same reg plate lights on various Skoda models for over a decade.

Look in any generation of Skoda Models and you will see where owners have had to go to Skoda, get the run around trying to get a Paints 3 year warranty or a 10 or 12 year Corrosion / Perforation warranty to cover it.

With such a new model of Skoda be sure the dealership follow the correct procedures when you report the issues.

This will help others when Skoda make them fight to get Warranty work.

They might try saying there were no Body Inspections done, well if Skoda / VW Main Dealers were servicing 'Body Inspections' are part of the Schedule to be carried out, plus the Warranty has nothing in it about 'Annual or Bi-annual inspections.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/478718-skoda-not-standing-by-their-customers

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Like 1

mine is 2016 reg, bought it private sale a month ago and yes got the same corrosion!  thanks for pointing this out friend. I am hoping corrosion warranty is transferable ? I will ring Skoda dealer next week and hopefully get it booked in for after the lockdown then. 

07CAAEA2-97B5-4C50-B135-52AB5DC1EA2D.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m  thinking could it has something to do with the rear washer wipe if that was leaking internally ? I’ve not had tail gate door trim off to investigate, think I’ll leave that and just report it to dealership?

local one is Rainworth Skoda

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, shocked at that to be honest, my brother has a 5 year old Hyundai i10 and he had to take it back to the dealer for a fair amount of rust on one of the door frames...... they did not seem fazed at all, i went with him and pointed out that my partners 2003 Fiat Panda was rust free in everything other than the odd stone chip and that i was not impressed. I had considered a Hyundai until this but now i would not touch Hyundai or Kia, totally shocked as i thought the dreaded rust was a thing of the past on modern cars.

Edited by Hudson1
  • Like 1

I am not a Skoda owner, had a SEAT for a while, a VW and an Audi now, I don't think that rust is a thing of the past, well it was, but I think that most cars are slipping back to the time where rust was a big problem, the best is behind us in terms of rust prevention, ignore vulnerable areas at your peril, in the past year I replenished my stock of clear Waxoil etc, and I would have preferred if I had not needed to start that messy job again!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my numberplate lights to LED in 2018 when I bought the car and there was a small amount of rust that is hidden with the lights. Shocking to see it's a common issue on such a modern car. I stuck some copper grease in it so might take them off again and re-grease.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JAMMYZ said:

I changed my numberplate lights to LED in 2018 when I bought the car and there was a small amount of rust that is hidden with the lights. Shocking to see it's a common issue on such a modern car. I stuck some copper grease in it so might take them off again and re-grease.

I successfully claimed against Skoda back in 2018 for my MKII Fabia. The car is long gone now, but my advice is to persevere after lockdown. The main dealer body shop said at the time it was because they had used foam gaskets instead of rubber for the number plate lights which retained moisture. That doesn't explain the rust at the seam though? In the end they replaced the entire tailgate.

The car used to get filthy at the back during the winter, so even although I used to look after it, and washed it, it's an area that's particulately prone to rust.

• 11 months later...

Sorry to pull this old thread from the dead.

Any tips on fighting Skoda with this issue? I noticed mine rusting almost 3 months ago, took a month to get an inspection on the rust by them due to covid.

Took almost another month for thier decision which then said "previous service did not say inspection".

I can't find any of thier live warranty policies saying the car needs to be inspected by them exclusively (is that even legal?) And my car was serviced locally due to covid limitations.

Noticed the current manual for the 2015 fabia states that cavities are protected from corrosion by a lifetime wax that does not need to be inspected or renewed.

Edited by stevob21

When there were Service Books up to around 2012 there was a page after each Service & Maintenance Page with the 'Body Inspection page'.

The Services were Minor & Major services and when a car was at a Main Dealers the Body was supposed to be inspected for any damage and written up and the diagram marked.

Body repairs were supposed to be to Factory Standard.  Skoda UK tried saying that Inspections should be Annual or Bi-Annual etc. 

Try to say that if not being Main Dealer Serviced then not Body Inspected.  Some Dealerships staff tried saying a 'Body Inspection would be £85 etc etc.

All crap from Skoda.  Skoda UK knows Dealerships are not doing Body Inspections yet Customers might expect they do because Skoda puts in Service Information that is part of Servicing.

Skoda know cars were there with FMDSH and had yet nothing in the Book, on a Palm Top or on the System showing Inspections done.

They know the Car Warranty, Paint & Corrosion Warranty does not have in the T&C's anything about a Body Inspection but their Websites for Minor & Major Services & them the Interim & Major Services say 'Body & Glass Inspection' as part of the 'Service Actions',  that Customers are Paying for.

So lots and lots of threads over the past decade on what Skoda do, what Skoda says and what owners need to do and what they might get.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/473412-rust

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/479075-tailgate-rust

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/461124-2015-superb-tailgate-rust

Skoda UK will try to hide behind the 'Perforation Warranty'.  Well before 10 years the rust people show at half that might well lead to a Perforation'.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/449289-door-corner-rust

Screenshot 2021-05-06 at 05.59.23.png

Screenshot 2021-05-06 at 12.04.36.png

Screenshot 2021-05-06 at 12.03.37.png

Screenshot 2021-05-06 at 12.03.58.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

You guys got me all worried as I can recall the problems we all had with rust back 40 - 50 years ago. Mine is outside all the time so anyway went and had a close look at the supposed dodgy area mentioned but pleased to report at six years old it's as clean as a whistle. Maybe one or two of you have suffered from the friday afternoon syndrome.

16 hours ago, Eccles said:

You guys got me all worried as I can recall the problems we all had with rust back 40 - 50 years ago. Mine is outside all the time so anyway went and had a close look at the supposed dodgy area mentioned but pleased to report at six years old it's as clean as a whistle. Maybe one or two of you have suffered from the friday afternoon syndrome.

I think it depends on the year and your luck, I've gone ahead and replaced my tailgate as Skoda wasn't budging and ombudsman is a 6 month turnaround.

Newer tailgate has LEDs which have a much tighter seal and an extra little rubber gasket, cost me £190 and a full day of disassembling and reassembling the rear of the car and coding in the new lights.

Also lost my Monte Carlo spoiler as they are non reusable (the adhesive is almost impossible to remove and I cracked the spoiler when trying)

Check the inside of your door, the trim comes off with one screw and a pry tool - you can then see the inside of the lights, there should be no dirt or water build-up inside the door

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevob21 said:

Check the inside of your door, the trim comes off with one screw and a pry tool - you can then see the inside of the lights, there should be no dirt or water build-up inside the door

Hey thanks for that stevo, good bit of advice for all of us.

On 29/04/2020 at 21:26, rum4mo said:

I am not a Skoda owner, had a SEAT for a while, a VW and an Audi now, I don't think that rust is a thing of the past, well it was, but I think that most cars are slipping back to the time where rust was a big problem, the best is behind us in terms of rust prevention, ignore vulnerable areas at your peril, in the past year I replenished my stock of clear Waxoil etc, and I would have preferred if I had not needed to start that messy job again!

I was clearing out the shed and found a two-thirds finished can of Waxoyl with a sticker £4.95 from Halfords. I used it last on the Triumph Dolomite showing when I last used it. I disposed of it but now wish I had kept it after seeing these reports.