Which DSG gearbox is fitted to a 2020 model year Superb Sportline Plus 280?

Hi all

I've been trawling through the forums in an attempt to find out whether or not the 7-speed DSG fitted to my beast is one of the boxes that is prone to problems. It's recently had it's 3rd annual service and the Haldex oil was changed, but no mention of a gearbox oil change, which I understand is needed for some models. I'm keen to keep my car in tip top condition (it's a keeper lol!) so any thoughts as to which box I have and the service intervals would be greatly appreciated. And apologies in advance if I've missed the blindingly obvious elsewhere in the forums!

The 7 speed DSG (DQ381 Wet) on the 280/272 is a different gearbox to the 7-speed DSG (DQ200 Dry) found on the lower spec less powerful engines.

The problem one was the DQ200.

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's good to know - thank you! I'm finding that dealers in general just do the basics so it's sadly necessary to be proactive about additional service items. 

Thanks Redboy. I found a table in the depths of another thread that suggested 4 years or 40,000 miles so it's good to get confirmation!

The DQ381 requires an oil change at 80k miles although, if driven hard, I wouldn’t wait that long. 

image.png.b26e786e07d2cb29c078fbf5b64cda1d.png

• Like 1

Thanks dunc69. While I was trying to find information I checked on other VW group sites (specifically VW and SEAT). At the time I didn't know which model gearbox was fitted to my car but I found quite a bit of angst from owners that VW had extended the service interval on the DQ381 from 40,000 to 80,000 miles. I don't typically thrash my cars but I reckon it's sound advice not to leave the service till the last minute.  I'll be asking for it to be done at the 4 year point... and then I can look forward to the cambelt at year 5... now where's that Lotto ticket?

• Crying 1

Which engined if any Superb got a DQ500 DSG? 

As Tina Turner sang # What has 4 years got to do with it?   Other than if that happens to be at 40,000 miles or maybe 80,000.

The Skoda  'Fixed Servicing chart' is just wrong.

Considering the growing number of DQ381,s being posted on social media with issues, maybe with a keeper have them serviced long before 80,000 miles, 

but by a VW / Skoda approved repairer / dealer. and with the Filter replaced.

But then they are going to say not required.

See the Kodiaq Section and even the Karoq section.

Maybe my post 8th June has enough links to give you the idea how the DQ381 might well be as bad as the DQ200 has for well over a decade.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/514055-karoq-7-speed-dsg-fault-4x4

585848287_Screenshot2022-12-2814_19_08.jpg.a622554865cd35b0aa0635744f07aef0.jpg

1624336521_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.3c042b3d60ff4f7eed63333aeb416947.webp.d154c236398031a998b1fdde39041a5b.webp.fd26f65cc07b4be5f521bc62aab6ba70.webp

1179912860_922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736(1).jpg.606196879c2532f67305f1ec411800c6 (1).jpg

Edited by toot

It was actually a chat with a friend who owns a Kodiaq that got me started on this mission in the first place. His is a 2019 Sportline with the 2 litre TSI engine and he had picked up the social media reports of DSG problems.  He spoke to his usual Skoda service partner in Croydon and they couldn't even tell him which gearbox is fitted to his vehicle which is pretty scary. Needless to say, he won't be going back there.

Bottom line for me is that I'm going with the general consensus and getting the job done sooner rather than later. I take the point that my dealer might well say the work isn't needed but I reckon they'll give in gracefully when I wave my credit card at them.  And yes, I'll be asking for a detailed invoice and a photographic record that the job has actually been done! Isn't it sad that we can't trust anyone any more... the dodgy dealers of the 1960's seem to be having something of a renaissance. 

When it comes to the time you decide you want the DSG serviced and get a price that might be the big shock.

Then if the Service Desk staff give a price ask them if they want to 'call a friend' or go speak with the Master Tech about just what DSG the car has.

They can then maybe find out if they are changing the oil filter or not.  (At an uneducated guess they are not planning on.)

This might change in the next year or 3.  

Maybe this 80,000 service interval schedule, guidance, recommendation will change as well.

It will be interesting to know what Main Dealers in the UK are charging for servicing a DQ381 and if the same as for a DQ250.

*Pick a price, any price maybe.*

22190367_575794279_Screenshot2023-03-1822_35_35.jpg.f1eafd544592c6770c8a17f54f93155c(1).jpg.0b06f1d5d5d159b07d3d237fd672b0c1.jpg.c2a4c8259a371d28308c221400827bd2 (2).jpg

959813611_Screenshot2023-03-0510_34_49.png.85bef5569b66a2b4526c506c3bbe7ad1 (3).png

Edited by toot

Therein lies the rub, as W Shakespeare once wrote!  There was a Skoda fixed price offer when I got the cambelt done on my previous Superb and the dealership reckons they made a £200 loss on the deal so they do indeed just pick a number.

Having said that, the service desk staff where I now go will always have a chat with the service manager if it's a question they haven't come across before so I'm fortunate in that respect.  And the service manager himself is pretty clued up, unlike some I've come across.  I think I'd be OK with £275 for the job though... fingers crossed!

• Like 1

@Chris48Does that dealership actually have a Service Manager with technical knowledge or maybe training or qualifications in Mechanical Engineering, or even an NVQ in upselling.

As long as they have a tongue or can do sign language and ask someone that works on Skoda / VW's they will be OK.

And as long as their memory from the discussion and back to the customer is good enough.

This is their job after all, maybe 5 1/2 days a week, and maybe 45 weeks a year.  Or how long they last in the job.

Service desk staff are selected on the basis of no interest in cars or motoring and no ability to actually learn about the product or remember 

what each they dealt with the previous hours, days or weeks actually needed in the way of servicing regimes or recommendations or important stuff

or actually to check using that keyboard in front of them that they do have a NVQ in the use of.

They never forget about Fuel Treatment, AC servicing and that if there is brake wear it must be 80% and not 20% with 80 % left.

Edited by toot

It's the Skoda dealership in Maidstone and yes, the service manager has his qualifications proudly on display in the office. So I'm quietly confident that once I get past the front desk, all will be well. 

Been to Marshalls Harlow once for extended scope service and the chap(s) there managed to put on the service sheets my spare tyre thread depth. 

Problem is I don't have a spare tyre... None. Incredible sorcery.

• Haha 1

On 19/06/2023 at 14:11, Chris48 said:

Thanks dunc69. While I was trying to find information I checked on other VW group sites (specifically VW and SEAT). At the time I didn't know which model gearbox was fitted to my car but I found quite a bit of angst from owners that VW had extended the service interval on the DQ381 from 40,000 to 80,000 miles. I don't typically thrash my cars but I reckon it's sound advice not to leave the service till the last minute.  I'll be asking for it to be done at the 4 year point... and then I can look forward to the cambelt at year 5... now where's that Lotto ticket?

Just to mention that there is no cam belt on the 280, it’s a chain.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of upgrading my DQ250 to DQ381 soon.  Been told by a tuner that the DQ381 were failing due to a software update from 2018.  All issues have been resolved in DSG's from 2020.

• Like 1

VW Group will have a TPI then and will be accepting that even out of a 3 years manufacturer warranty the failing is theirs and they will be covering losses.

?

So the fault was not a Fundamental one from the factory, it was a software update that was done for some unexplained reason that then caused the failings?

Lost the pigs flying picture.

Buying an extended warranty when buying a new car with a DQ381 would be simply clever or extended warranties from Skoda / VW if buying a used one.

They could not say 'Know issues' because after all it is them that know about them, or can deny there are any.

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

Phew that's a weight off my mind! It seems I changed my car at just the right time because my previous Superb will have been affected by the software problem. 

Thanks for the above information. Personally I’ve found the staffs knowledge shocking. The dealership kept telling me how they’ve lost £1400, which they won’t get back because they were unable to diagnose my cars fault, which they later said was a characteristic of the car!! They had my car for 6 weeks and 2 days, although admittedly 4 weeks of that was waiting for some muppet at SKODA.UK to contact the serving manager!! During that time my car managed to travel 181 miles during its diagnostics, and on picking my car up my range was a whopping 5 miles !!! I’ve asked the dealership to explain the mileage whilst asking the question to leave a customers car the 5 miles in the tank not only bad for the car but shocking customer service, which seams to be in line with what you might expect from a crappy car in the hood old days but not when your spending nearly 50k on a new car.